Prefers coming in as relief

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Sorry DFP. You get a long post this morning. DD and I often have a lot of our more in-depth conversations while she's practicing pitching. It helps keep her mind from going in circles while working on a drill and provides a more game-speed cadence (5-10 pitches, break and talk, 5-10 pitches, break and talk, 5-10 pitches, break and talk). Something I picked up from her PC. At any rate, we got on the discussion about starting vs coming in as relief.

Right now, she has zero interest in being a starting pitcher. She's never been driven to be called a #1. And really doesn't care if you call her a #2 or #3. She just wants to pitch. Just....preferably in relief. DD loves coming in mid to late in the game and pitching. Whether that's 3 innings or 1 inning to close it out. Doesn't matter if her team is up or down. Her words "I like coming into the game knowing where it's at". Then she pitches accordingly. My assumption is she perceives the pressures and how her mistakes effect the outcome differently. Her previous coach would often put her in if we needed to stop some bleeding and give the team a chance to get runs back. And would also use her to hold a lead in the late innings. That she loves. Just don't make her start.

Out of a crazy amount of games through Spring/Summer this past year....her number one memory was one inning during a tournament where we were down 2 or 3 runs. The other team had started to time our other pitcher and we were getting to the end of time. We needed to get quick outs to get our bats back at the plate. HC pulls DD aside. Says "We need you right now. These need to be quick". She was warmed up but hadn't thrown a single game pitch that day (our first game of bracket). 8 pitches later we're back hitting. Ultimately, we lost and were eliminated. But this single inning is one of her biggest memories from the Summer.

As a parent, I've come to not care if she is a #1 or a #3 as long as she's happy with what is being offered. I just want her to be able to pitch as long as she wants to. Obviously, a #3 isn't going to get the same innings as a #1, but it sounds like she's fine with that. Maybe prefers it. And relishes her position as a support role in the rotation. If she can be a #2-4 and be a pitcher coaches trust to use in relief/closing then that's cool with her. She likes it. So, we'll continue working and groom her to be a pitcher coaches can trust in that role.

I'm curious if others have experienced similar? Whether with your DD's or with pitchers on your teams.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
What age?
Like that comment
'Continue working and groom her to be a pitcher coaches can trust in that role'

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Can add have noticed pitchers being affected by time of game they pitch.
Early bird game or late day game type of thing.

At 13, as you mentioned still young, certainly has some personality growth comming!

As you describe her sounds like she has a confidence that should be acknowledged.
Perhaps happenstance will open a door for the team to 'need' her to start...
And that same confidence will transfer to the first pitch of the game!
That said her role is still very important!

Keep it going! Good stuff!

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Can add have noticed pitchers being affected by time of game they pitch.
Early bird game or late day game type of thing.

This definitely part of it I'm sure. She doesn't mind early softball but prefers afternoon. This weekend her new team (14u B) asked her to start a a 9:30am bracket game. Pulled in the first inning after walking 3 out of 4 and with bases loaded (after a botched dropped 3rd strike) walked in a run. But, coach throws her back in the last inning to secure the 5-3 win. She went 3up and 3down. Starting DD and closing DD were two very different pitchers.

As you describe her sounds like she has a confidence that should be acknowledged.
Perhaps happenstance will open a door for the team to 'need' her to start...
And that same confidence will transfer to the first pitch of the game

For her....I hope that's the case. The team as a whole is a talented group of like aged girls. It's a reason we joined them to help push and grow DD. HC's plan is to find more competitive tournaments which means potentially higher pitch counts for #1 and #2. Meaning DD will likely have to start games/eat innings.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021
I would encourage all situations......my DD is a 2026 as well.

Last weekend she came in bottom of last inning (time limit) up 5-1 with bases loaded and 0 outs......lol

Now for the record she did get 2 ground balls and a K to end it 5-3 but she was like "whoa....that was intense"

Enjoy it!!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD didn't mind starting but preferred to be the visiting Team, she liked to get a feel for the umpire was going to call.

Same could be said for relief.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I don’t know that my DD actually prefers to pitch in relief (she just enjoys pitching), but she has tended to be good at it and often been called on to do it. She tends to handle the pressure well (I’ve heard her say it helps her focus) and the pressure can definitely be real. She is also a very reliable strike thrower and pitches efficiently. Most at bats won’t go more than 3 or 4 pitches. Other pitchers on the team are harder throwers, so batters have to adjust to her change of speed and ability to command the ball. She’s primarily working east-west down in the zone, so a lot of ground balls. Of course, it doesn’t always go her way (definitely had some brutal walk off losses) but she has a pretty good track record as a reliever. She had a key “hold” and a save in two different games this past weekend.

When my daughter does start, I know that if she gets through the first inning pretty clean, then it is going to be a good game for her. If not, might be a tough day at the office. Not sure what that’s about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45