Pre-game warm-up routines

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
OK, coaches, let's have your pre-game routines.

One area I have probably failed is in developing a regimented, consistent pregame routine. A lot of that is because, as a high school coach, I never know exactly how much time we'll have before a game (away games depend on travel, and we've even had home games start an hour late because the other team had issues). Still, I'd like to get a good 30-45 minute routine down, which I can then adjust as necessary depending on how much time we actually have.

Would love to see everybody's pre-game schedules so I can steal from them.

Jun 20, 2015
allot depends on warm up areas available for travel tourneys, time of day, before 1st game of the day? Or 3rd game?

always circle stretching and dynamic warm ups. then throwing if they haven't played yet. Then pitchers and catchers hit off tee and side toss first., before they warm up. Then balance of the team. that all usually takes about 30-45 minutes, UNLESS we need to hurry and then we limit swings for each, etc.

May 17, 2012
Many years ago we sought out best practices in order to warm up properly. All research pointed to the FIFA 11+ warm up program so that's what we used. Backed by science as the best method to warm up and reduce injuries.

We pulled out the soccer specific routines and incorporated the others and never looked back.

The players liked it and we looked sharp/organized when we were doing it as a team.

You can google for the research and details....

Dec 20, 2012
Texas
OK, coaches, let's have your pre-game routines.

One area I have probably failed is in developing a regimented, consistent pregame routine. A lot of that is because, as a high school coach, I never know exactly how much time we'll have before a game (away games depend on travel, and we've even had home games start an hour late because the other team had issues). Still, I'd like to get a good 30-45 minute routine down, which I can then adjust as necessary depending on how much time we actually have.

Would love to see everybody's pre-game schedules so I can steal from them.
HS coach here as well, and I like to try to get to out of town games at least an hour and a half ahead of time, and home games, we'd start hitting about an hour or hour and 15 minutes before game time, just depended on the year and how quick the teams got it done.

Here's what we do though:
Dynamic warmup
Hitting stations - tees, bunt, front toss
Throwing warmup
Infield/Outfield
Pitchers & Catchers go in cage first, they go warmup at their discretion, as they should know how long it takes them to warmup at this point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee