Practice ball recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2019
I have a bucket full of ratty old softballs that I would like to replace. DD is a pitcher and uses them almost everyday. I'm looking for something close to a game ball that won't wear out too quickly. We live in the desert and balls take a beating. Inexpensive would be great, but I have learned that word is rarely associated with softball.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Inexpensive would be great, but I have learned that word is rarely associated with softball.
Very smart, just keep that mindset and you'll be okay going forward.....we'll talk about gloves at a later date! ;)

Jumbo above has a great suggestion, if you have a PIAS nearby. Either way I suggest staying with leather covered balls.

If you're in charge of keeping and caring for the balls maybe just bite the bullet and buy yourself a couple dozen premium balls and call it a day?

I like.....

Dudley.
Sterling.
Trump Evil balls, probably my favorite!

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
I have a bucket for pitching only balls, in new/like new condition. A bucket of hitting balls. And a couple of buckets of practice balls.

Ball lifecycle.
New balls start in pitching bucket ----> too scuffed for pitching, they move to batting cage bucket -----> batting bucket full, the most used move to Field practice buckets -----> practice buckets fill up, the most used go to Garbage, or someone else's bucket.

As for buying new pitching balls, I like Sterling, Dudley Thunder Heat and Rawlings Dream Seams. Probably not the cheapest options.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
I found 3 almost brand new leather softballs lying around when we went to the field yesterday to take ground balls..I was like a kid in a candy shop!! (actually reminds me of when I was a kid..don't think I ever bought a baseball when I was a kid..got all I needed in the woods near the field)

Edit: Not helpful I know..unless you want to go search your neighborhood fields for 2 dozen..My kid doesn't pitch but I have been able to get a dozen leather balls good enough for hitting for between $50 and $55 at various times..Amazon a few times and I think Epic sports a few times.

Edit 2: If you do have a local city field which has a maintenance crew, I bet those guys have a few buckets of balls in their shed which they just find on the field..like I did (yes..I am cheap)

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Apparently my DD lives a tough life. Her hitting and pitching practice balls are the same. And half of them are Dudley and the other are Champro. Some are new and some are not so much.

Apr 8, 2019
Apparently my DD lives a tough life. Her hitting and pitching practice balls are the same. And half of them are Dudley and the other are Champro. Some are new and some are not so much.
Actually one of my biggest concerns with practicing with old balls is the scuffs make them break like crazy in completely unpredictable ways. It's like trying to catch a 60 mph knuckle ball. I'm taking shots all the time.

Jun 8, 2016
Actually one of my biggest concerns with practicing with old balls is the scuffs make them break like crazy in completely unpredictable ways. It's like trying to catch a 60 mph knuckle ball. I'm taking shots all the time.
As long as you stay out of the hospital you will save money.. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812