Practice ball recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Actually one of my biggest concerns with practicing with old balls is the scuffs make them break like crazy in completely unpredictable ways. It's like trying to catch a 60 mph knuckle ball. I'm taking shots all the time.

My post was more in jest about some using only new balls or a group of balls dedicated only for pitching. Which in the end is fine. I was just making fun. To each their own.

To your point though, once the "skin" starts cracking or coming off then we don't use it to pitch. It does remain a hitting ball. The bulk of balls we practice with are pretty "broken in". New balls are rotated in as it's not uncommon to lose a couple every month.

One thing to keep in mind is that a pitcher is likely to throw two or three different brand/model of balls throughout a tournament (at least around here). My DD used to get picky because she preferred to use what "she liked" versus what was made available to her. Whether it be the travel team, school team, or whatever ball the opposing team threw in after the hitter fouled 2 or 3 out of the field.

Apr 17, 2019
My $.02, those Epic Sports store brand balls are slippery compared to game balls for pitching. They're a great buy for BP and fielding though.
I picked up the Champro USSSA blue balls on a suggestion from another thread about durable balls. Haven't been disappointed.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
My $.02, those Epic Sports store brand balls are slippery compared to game balls for pitching. They're a great buy for BP and fielding though.
I picked up the Champro USSSA blue balls on a suggestion from another thread about durable balls. Haven't been disappointed.

We’ve used the Champro USSSA balls as well and have been happy with them.

May 16, 2016
My post was more in jest about some using only new balls or a group of balls dedicated only for pitching. Which in the end is fine. I was just making fun. To each their own.

When they start playing games with used practice balls, that is what we will practice pitching with...

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
When they start playing games with used practice balls, that is what we will practice pitching with...

Anything is possible. Again, said in jest. To each their own. So on and so forth.

We utilize a mixture of balls. Brand new (game balls), and used game balls. But nothing pitched has a real surface defect. As those would get tossed out in a game anyways. But, in my mind, this helps simulate multiple ball types and what she’d see start to finish through a game or tournament.

That’s where I was coming from.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802