Practice area in the house or garage?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 6, 2019
Has anyone tried a golf type net to keep your sheet rock, windows, family members safe from stray balls?

I was thinking of setting up a bownet inside something like this golf net.

She should be able to pitch and hit into that from a Turf pad. I have a batting cage in the front yard, but the weather has been terrible for her to get her pitching in.

Nov 6, 2019
Bownet in the basement
Wish I had a basement, but down south we dont really have them. High water tables.

Right now its looking like a bownet and turf in the garage. Hopefully she doesnt smash one over the net and damage my sheet rock. Pitching she will just have to make due with throwing into a bow net as well. Too short of a distance to catch her.

Sep 19, 2018
My basement is too small to pitch. and I made a whole in the sheetrock already hitting through an older net. our ceiling in not sheet covered, if it was, there would be plenty of wholes. MY dd is 13 now so missing the next is few and far between, but in the beginning, a little too often.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
A coaching friend had it all set up in his basement for his 'shortish' DD to pitch and hit .... Bownets and heavy tarps as I remember but it was an unfinished basement .... He's the same guy who had told his younger REC team to go home and practice by themselves by bouncing the ball off the basement of the house outside and catching the rebound ... The following practice he asked them if anyone had taken his advice ... One young lady spoke up and said her Dad walloped her arse for bouncing balls off their double-wide and putting 100 dents in it ... LOL

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
We use a Bownet in the garage for hitting. You can really only do tee work and side toss, but it's better than nothing. You can do pitching too, but you need to have the aforementioned turf mat or you'll destroy your shoes.

Jun 8, 2016
When they are small enough you can use wiffles or anywhere balls for front toss in the garage with a Bownet for protection. Still do that with 7 and 4 YO DS. I think I stopped doing it with DD when she was 10 or so although we could still probably do it if we could ignore the noise from the balls hitting the garage door..

Nov 18, 2022
We have a bow net in the garage with a doubled up tarp hanging on it- side toss and tee work and pitching from the mat - just short distance but she can go full speed pitching- lets her really work on pitching mechanics and spins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I have the Jugs side toss pop-up machine that works great for side toss by yourself. Do my girls use it? Never. The thing has been collecting dust in my basement for three years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802