Power of role models - how to make your girls FLY at practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
One of our families has a connection to a college player who is home for the summer - she was gracious enough to be a guest at our 10U practice last night. She came in the second half of practice, spent about 30 minutes (worth it) sitting down with them and answering all their questions (and they actually had a full 30 minutes worth of really good questions) about college, softball, travelling, motivation, overcoming slumps, facing Auburn, Missouri,...and everything in between. They were particularly impressed with the swag (she passed around her custom glove and they handled it like it was a newborn baby).

After the talk, she took them through some of the drills her team does. I have never seen this group absolutely FLY around the field like they did last night. It was like they had 10 energy drinks - diving after balls, backing each other up, rocket throws (you know...all the stuff they are SUPPOSED to do ALL the time) - but they were on fire. Hoping to take some of that mo' into this weekend's tourney...

But if you can get a college player (or just awesome older girls) to guest at a practice, do it. Helps if they happen to be really, really good communicators (I absolutely see coaching in this young woman's future) - but man, the lift it gave our girls was incredible.

Feb 21, 2017
For those coaching young teams (recreation or travel) you can often get high school players if you inquire. This applies to boys and girls although the girls are usually more involved. Most schools have some sort of honor society and a requirement is often volunteer hours. Having the players volunteer to coach softball is generally an attractive alternative. Outside of that some HS kids are just looking for things to put on the old college application.

When I ran our local league this was common and I signed off on volunteer hours every year for girls. Many went over the minimum requirements. We would take the young girls and go watch the high school team play and cheer on those who volunteered extra bringing homemade signs so it works both directions.

CoC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 7, 2018
Northwest Florida
How awesome is it that our girls are growing up with such great role models and heroes? People like them, that they get to see play the sport they love on TV?!

Just think about how many young women, and men, the USWNT has inspired in the last month alone? And how many little girls will pick up a softball and glove for the first time because of the amazing coverage of the St. Pete Clearwater and the Women's College World Series?

Amazing stuff!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee