Possibly Moving to Oreon?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 20, 2017
@ORBlue

Understand if u would rather pass on that question, but more importantly what are the most reputable Travel Organizations up there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
work at intel? also lived in that same area but 94-2017. Now in Florida. DD wasn’t old enough to play softball too but I follow An Oregon fast pitch Facebook page. To the OP, There are definitely not as many teams as there are in the warmer states but some post videos of their teams Playing and you can get a little glimpse of the scene.

No, I worked for an outdoor company based in Beaverton for about 15 years.

To OP: There are a lot of great things about Oregon. Food, music, art, wine (if you’re into that), and about every outdoor activity you can think of. Having Mt Hood so close is great too if you’re into skiing/snowboarding. We liked the coast despite weather being iffy. Our kids loved playing on the beach during the kite and sandcastle festivals. The whole state is beautiful.

There is one or two colleges in Portland that have a softball team. The University of Oregon Ducks are just a couple hours South. Not sure what they are allowing for attendance but it could be made into a day trip.

The weather is the weather. I didn’t hate it but now that I’m in the mid-west I definitely don’t miss it. The Summers are hard to beat though.

Don’t let a softball forum decide your move. Definitely visit the area and form your own opinions!

Nov 1, 2013
@ORBlue

Since you are a resident do u mind if I can ask what do u feel is the current trending opinion on mandating 12 year olds being vaccinated to attend school. Honestly I absolutly hate that its even an issue to consider but its Mama's #1 consideration when it comes to moving.

We are not anti Vax, wife and I both took the Jab, but we are real slow when it comes to the kids especially since they both had the virus with minimal effects. Understand if u would rather pass on that question, but more importantly what are the most reputable Travel Organizations up there?

Suggestion to determine some possible reputable TB organizations is to check the USA Softball Oregon website that list all the Oregon based USA tourneys with tourney results...probably could see some trends that could be useful in your research.

Student vaccines... :) I have my personal beliefs about safety and health for all, but I will leave it to that.

Nov 29, 2021
@ORBlue

Understand if u would rather pass on that question, but more importantly what are the most reputable Travel Organizations up there?
Seconding the idea to check out the USA Softball Oregon website to get the lay of the land. In terms of reputable competitive teams, it's going to be a huge difference from what you're used to in California. NW Bullets are hands down the best organization in the area, if you're looking long term for playing at the collegiate level, but they don't have a 12u team. Oregon Blaze and Moundtime are in the area you're possibly moving to and both are consistently competitive. NW Vandals out of Salem (about an hour south) are also a solid, competitive organization. Good luck and bring a rain coat!

Aug 25, 2019
Suggestion to determine some possible reputable TB organizations is to check the USA Softball Oregon website that list all the Oregon based USA tourneys with tourney results...probably could see some trends that could be useful in your research.

Student vaccines... :) I have my personal beliefs about safety and health for all, but I will leave it to that.
And lookin at USSSA site, not too many tourneys in Oregon.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
That's a great area. I live in Seattle, but get down to the Portland area one or twice a year for softball. The NAFA Western "Nationals" is sort of a tradition for my younger DD's organization and older DD has played in the Triple Crown Valley Invite in Hillsboro, which attracts teams from all the West and Hawaii, a few times.

In the PNW tournaments usually run from March to October, sometime the first weekend of November. November is the wettest month in Seattle and I would assume Portland as well. In 8 or 9 years I only remember being rained out 5 or 6 times. However, I remember about a dozen where I was sitting in the damp and cold wind wishing they had canceled and I've also been part of an organization hosting a tournament where we up early sponging the water off the infield into buckets making the fields playable.

Lots of PNW teams travel a few times to Las Vegas, Phoenix, the Irvine area or Utah during the wetter months (though sometimes they end up getting rained out down there!) or to the NW Sports HUB in Centralia, WA, which is an indoor facility about two hours north of Portland. The HUB is a little goofy because there isn't much of an outfield, but pitchers get to pitch and you get to see hitters square up the ball even if that probable home run is only a single due to the nets.

There's some good softball in the Portland area and the Oregon wine country south of Hillsboro is fantastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802