Possibly Moving to Oreon?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 20, 2017
Have a great opportunity for career advancement in the Forest Grove / Hilsboro area. Coming from Southern California. How is the Softball up there for a 12 Year old Travelball kid. Shes a pitcher. Any great pitching coaches in the area? Taking the whole fam in about 2 weeks would love to meet some coaches maybe watch a game or 2 while we are up there. Appreciate all that chime in

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Have a great opportunity for career advancement in the Forest Grove / Hilsboro area. Coming from Southern California. How is the Softball up there for a 12 Year old Travelball kid. Shes a pitcher. Any great pitching coaches in the area? Taking the whole fam in about 2 weeks would love to meet some coaches maybe watch a game or 2 while we are up there. Appreciate all that chime in

I don’t have softball experience there but did live in that exact area from 1996 to 2018. If you have questions about the area in general feel free to message me.

Aug 8, 2016
It sounds like you are unfamiliar with the weather in that area. You should definitely do some research on that before your trip so that you are not surprised. There won't be any games for that region (other than at the indoor facility in Centralia) until March.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
It sounds like you are unfamiliar with the weather in that area. You should definitely do some research on that before your trip so that you are not surprised. There won't be any games for that region (other than at the indoor facility in Centralia) until March.

Ya I can’t imagine softball happens much beyond September. It gets cold and wet pretty quick around then. I’d be curious how many games get rained out March through May/June.

DD wasn’t old enough for softball yet so we didn’t get to experience what the greater Portland-area offered.

Aug 8, 2016
A lot of games get rained out in September, October, March, April, and May. You pretty much have to over-schedule since you will almost always lose at least 1 or 2 in the spring and fall.

Apr 8, 2019
I recently had a conversation with a woman who just moved from Oregon to Arizona. Her DD played a lot of ball in indoor facilities. She described it as not as good as the real thing, but it allows the girls to keep practicing.

Nov 13, 2020
I don’t have softball experience there but did live in that exact area from 1996 to 2018. If you have questions about the area in general feel free to message me.
work at intel? also lived in that same area but 94-2017. Now in Florida. DD wasn’t old enough to play softball too but I follow An Oregon fast pitch Facebook page. To the OP, There are definitely not as many teams as there are in the warmer states but some post videos of their teams Playing and you can get a little glimpse of the scene.

Sep 20, 2017
Thank you to everyone that has taken time to respond. Yes I fear the amount of play is not what she will be used to, but level of play is what matters the most. Shes a position player/pitcher. Her coach recently relocated to Ohio so she has gotten used to an online format with that. Indoor facilities work great for a pitcher, but I wonder how the coaching and level of play up there is.

I can honestly say, I love the area, hate the politics but the job could be worth it... Sigh decisions, decisions. Wish u guys would have sold me on it but now I am riddled with doubt... LOL

Nov 1, 2013
A Head's Up for Motor-vader....from an Oregonian...

Advice for anybody moving from California to Oregon:
1. Don't talk politics
2. Stay positive about the weather
3. Know that many Oregonians aren't real happy about all the new citizens from California moving in over the past 10 years and impacting traffic; cost of housing, etc.

Just a friendly comment from someone that moved from Tucson to Oregon in the mid 1980's and would never move back to Arizona.

TB Tourney play will begin in March for 14U & 12U but as many have already told you...rain can and will impact the schedule. You will have to learn to play in muddy & wet conditions with LOTS of Diamond Dry in key areas of the field.

Many local high schools have gone to turf fields to insure full playing schedules

Good luck with your move...you are looking at moving into a very fast growing and expanding area in the Western PDX metro area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478