POP TIME STARTS WHEN

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Yes, pop times are important but well down on the list. Too many coaches, parents and players obsess over pop times because it somewhat measurable. But for the most part they are pretty subjective. Too many focus on pop times at the expense of basic fundamentals. A catcher may have an alleged world class pop time, but if you can't block, keep strikes as strikes, field the position, etc. you are of no value behind the plate. When I am recruiting and all I hear about a catcher is their pop time, it is time to move on. Just like when a pitcher tells me they have 5 pitches. :)

Last edited:

JOHNN

PLAY IT or TRADE IT SPORTS
DFP Vendor
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
A local pitching coach told me recently that pop time should start at the pitcher's release, because that's when the runner can leave.

Obviously that adds time but what are your thoughts on using this?
Ive always known "pop time" to be pop of the mitt to pop of the SS/2B glove.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Yes, pop times are important but well down on the list. Too many coaches, parents and players obsess over pop times because it somewhat measurable. But for the most part they are pretty subjective. Too many focus on pop times at the expense of basic fundamentals. A catcher may have an alleged world class pop time, but if you can't block, keep strikes as strikes, field the position, etc. you are of no value behind the plate. When I am recruiting and all I hear about a catcher is their pop time, it is time to move on. Just like when a pitcher tells me they have 5 pitches. :)
Totally agree with this!

I'd say the most important thing is to be in the acceptable pop time window.. From what I see, nearly everyone has a pop time of 1.75-1.85 secs. If you can work towards that, step one completed. Much more important is the accuracy of the throws.

There are few catchers that fall outside that very small window. I know that <1.70 times exist, but it usually involves a very strong arm and a significant dose of "cheating", aka lined up receiving the ball at 45deg to the pitcher... To me, that disqualifies the time, as the number one job of the catcher (IMO) is to receive the ball well. Lined up all funky for an imaginary pop time compromises receiving, blocking, and picking the ball.