Poor sportsmanship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
Interesting reading, analysis and theories here, but it's all pretty black and white to me. A 17 year old player made a mistake and did a bush league move on 2 baserunners who did nothing wrong (I don't buy they were "looking for trouble"). I hope the catcher learns from her mistake and all of the backlash it has caused, but I would hate if she had to pay for the mistake more than is appropriate (e.g., losing a scholarship). I also hope that whoever taught her this move or at least condoned it learns a lesson as well, and that the umpire who clearly saw what was happening also gets talked to. At a minimum, once it happened the first time, he should have issued a warning to the catcher and her coach.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
In general Americans are forgiving people. All she needs to do is say she is sorry for her actions and it' will all be OK. She will be marked in the future so she better not do it again and better hope there aren't other examples of her doing this out there. It doesn't have to be a public apology, it can be a nice letter to the other coach, it can be a call to the other coach and it's done.

Jun 9, 2015
In the first hit, the girl in the background on the right is the girl who took the second hit (Nsane - Please correct me if I'm wrong). I have a hard time imagining that someone would knowingly run into that situation, but I will take Nsane's word for it.

Yes it is the same girl. these incidents only happened 2 batters apart. The second girl is a 14yr old sophomore. i have talked to her several times since the incident and have asked her what she was thinking as she rounded 3rd and if the first incident crossed her mind that it could happen again. she stated that all she was thinking was she was going to score and watching her other teammates for the signal to slide.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yes it is the same girl. these incidents only happened 2 batters apart. The second girl is a 14yr old sophomore. i have talked to her several times since the incident and have asked her what she was thinking as she rounded 3rd and if the first incident crossed her mind that it could happen again. she stated that all she was thinking was she was going to score and watching her other teammates for the signal to slide.

Fair enough. Again, thanks for your input. :)

Dec 19, 2012
In general Americans are forgiving people. All she needs to do is say she is sorry for her actions and it' will all be OK. She will be marked in the future so she better not do it again and better hope there aren't other examples of her doing this out there. It doesn't have to be a public apology, it can be a nice letter to the other coach, it can be a call to the other coach and it's done.

It's too late. It will come across as not sincere.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TPop