POLL~ Pick this RISE ~or~ Pick that DROP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Pick a pitch

• Rise

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Drop

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Which pitch do you think is used most?
Rise or Drop

May 27, 2013
These days, I’d say the rise. It’s the “sexy” pitch to learn, and the one that it seems most college coaches want a recruit to have. It‘s a strikeout pitch. However, a pitcher who can throw a great drop will keep the ball low in the zone, give up less HR, and will induce more groundouts. Probably the “safer” pitcher to go with and the one who will win you more games if you have a great defense. JMHO.

I am speaking in regards to high level TB and college.

Nov 18, 2013
I’d say drops are used far more often. If for no other reason than most riseballs are just high fastballs.

May 27, 2013
I’d say drops are used far more often. If for no other reason than most riseballs are just high fastballs.

Agree with you on the rise, here. That‘s why I feel you’ll see more mis-thrown RB get hit out vs mis-thrown drops. I say this coming from the parent of a kid who relies a lot on her RB. When she’s on with it she’ll get the K’s, when she doesn’t throw it correctly it will get smoked. Doesn’t happen as much with her drop. When she mis-throws that it’s usually bouncing in front of the plate. However, she (and her previous TB coach) still rather throw her RB. Her PC always worked with her to improve her RB, telling her that the colleges will want her to have that pitch. We’ll see what her college coach decides.

Of course this is my anecdotal 2 cents.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Is one of these pitches easier for the majority of pitchers to throw effectively?

Drop is a pitch that can be effective fast
or off-speed.

Rise not so much.

May 27, 2013
Is one of these pitches easier for the majority of pitchers to throw effectively?

Drop is a pitch that can be effective fast
or off-speed.

Rise not so much.
I think it is all very individual-based. For my dd, the rise came more natural to her. She also started with a coach who taught more HE mechanics when she started so she learned the peel-drop early on and just decided that she didn’t like throwing it. Her PC in HS reintroduced her to the drop a year ago (he is IR) and explained she already had the spin (FB), she just needed to whip through a little sooner and it worked. Her drop for some reason is a few mph slower than her FB so it is a decent pitch that works well for her. Her TB coach just didn’t call it very often as he liked her rise better.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
I voted for the Drop here for several reasons but at some point it will need to be followed up on with a pitch higher in the zone. If you have a true RB and you can throw it through the same tunnel as your other pitches it's deadly. Change planes and speed and keep 'em on their heels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45