POLL~ is Fastpitch a Balanced sport now?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

who has the advantage?

• Pitchers

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Batters

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • Defense

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • its balanced

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I'd love @CoreSoftball20 opinion here. They changed the ball in slowpitch just a few years ago. It's my understanding that the ball has become "mushier", but the bats easily changed to match the new ball so that it flies just the same. It's just a safer ball, because when it hits someone it's not as "devastating". Yes, they could do seem changes, but holding a fastpitch ball compared to a slowpitch... dang those seams are big! Could the skin material really make that much of a difference?

Bat or ball though, either could make a much easier change vs field dimensions.
I am soooo tired of changing equipment. They lowered the compression of the ball which made the old bats pretty bad...then bat companies
got smart and the bats caught on and they are better than ever. The older bats before the change were hollow bats that needed break in time,
the new ball didnt allow that to happen very fast. So then bats went to inner tech and thin as heck composite and there, bats were so much
hotter out of the wrapper and didnt need the break in hits anymore. Now it hit the new ball. And honestly, bats are hotter than they ever were
in ASA slowpitch.
USSSA just changed their compression numbers from 220 to 240...but had so much backlash from players that now the 240 bats are just
mandatory for majors. So lower than that can use 220 or 240 bats. But, the 240 bats hit just fine as why? you guessed...the bats are so close to
the 240, they are hotter out of the wrapper than the 220 bats...haha.
The equipment stuff is just bothersome anymore...just stop. I would much rather see fences in FP get moved back 20 foot and bring stud
outfield play back in the game. And heaven forbid, bring doubles and triples maybe back into it. And if you dont have the room for 20 foot...make the fences 20 foot high...I dont know..something...hahaha

Mar 10, 2020
If your pitcher and batters dominate every game, its not because the sport is unbalanced its because your schedule is weak. Its balanced when its a competition to win.

Jun 8, 2016
OU was the best hitting team in the country this year and probably one of the best ever, regardless of era. That said their stats were padded by playing a weak schedule for most of the year.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Moving the fences isn’t an option for many lots of colleges the fields are stacked right next to each other to move fences would mean moving fields and that is very costly and unlikely. Bats and balls can be regulated more easily. College baseball did it years ago when the went to the bbcor bat. Everyone bitched but it balanced out the game. Softball needs to lol at both the bat and the ball to get the right combo.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
When the "powers that be" changed baseball/softball in the past was the reasoning only over game play or is safety ever brought up?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When the "powers that be" changed baseball/softball in the past was the reasoning only over game play or is safety ever brought up?
Good question!

There are rules that have changed and equiptment added to help encourage a safer experience.
Batting helmets.
Then face guard on helmet.
Catchers must wear full helmet.
Obstruction rules.
The orange first base bag next to actual first base.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12