POLL-How many times should a coach have to tell their players the same thing over and over

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

How many times?

• 3 times in one day?

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 6 times this weekend?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 15 times this month?

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 3 times in one day player should apply.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • 6 times this weekend parents need to teach discipline at home

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • 15 times this month far too long befor parent involvement

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Or no parent involvement just bench the player

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Or more expanded based on knowledge?
And should the parent try to grow their own knowledge?
A parent would only need to support what the coach is asking player to do.
LOL wouldn't actually have to think for themselves.
Just support the coach to try and get the kid on board with some sort of discussion regarding having the discipline to apply what the coaches trying to get them to do.

When my daughter decided to take ballet classes at the age of 6, my wife did what she could to help her. I simply don't have the grace required for such an activity, and I doubt I ever will no matter how much I learn.

When my daughter decided to get involved in sports, that is when I stepped up. My focuses with her were hitting and fielding, and to this day she will still ask me questions. Her college coach may make a comment about her mechanics and I will decipher it for her, not only to help her, but also to support her coach (as you are saying). She has a private instructor for pitching, and I try not to get involved in that. However, I attended the lessons and tried to pay attention as much as I could. Then when I notice something or see that look on her face, I simply say "what would your pitching coach tell you?". In those cases I may not be the one providing instruction but I am still supporting her and supporting what her coach says.

My point is that I will support my daughter as much as I can, but that doesn't mean I am able to teach her a specific topic. In some cases I have to rely on the talent of the instructor and do my best to support that instructor. I'm sure I am not alone in my thoughts, but I'm equally sure that there are parents that would rather not get that involved.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
In those cases I may not be the one providing instruction but I am still supporting her and supporting what her coach says.

My point is that I will support my daughter as much as I can, but that doesn't mean I am able to teach her a specific topic. In some cases I have to rely on the talent of the instructor and do my best to support that instructor. I'm sure I am not alone in my thoughts, but I'm equally sure that there are parents that would rather not get that involved.
Really like the parental approach of guidance in combination with the coaches and instructional help. Staying hands on through observation of the process and growing your ability to be the best guide/parent! 👍

'attended the lessons and paid attention as much as you could'
Incredibly valuable!

In the past three or four recent years it became astonishing how there would be parents not paying attention to private lessons. Disconnected from their own kids purpose.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"In the past three or four recent years it became astonishing how there would be parents not paying attention to private lessons. Disconnected from their own kids purpose."
Some people like to lite money on fire too.

Some coaches/instructors really don't like parents hanging around, listening in and God forbid ask questions. I think either they are afraid they may give up too much info and not be needed in the future OR maybe they are not confident in what they are selling. Either way, they should be avoided.
Also instructors on their phone during the lesson should also be avoided. Sometimes my DD will catch a pitching lesson of one of her teammates and the instructor will be scrolling thru her phone throughout the lesson. Drives me crazy.

Jun 8, 2016
In the past three or four recent years it became astonishing how there would be parents not paying attention to private lessons. Disconnected from their own kids purpose.
I think how much a parent, who is choosing to have their kid in private lessons, involves themselves in the instruction part of their kid's development (at least in terms of physically being there) depends on the age, personality,etc of the kid. By the time they are in HS, a parent should probably be able to have a conversation with their kid before they work with them about what their instructor is emphasizing. An answer of "I have no idea" might be a good indication that you may need to move on with that particular instructor....

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I think how much a parent, who is choosing to have their kid in private lessons, involves themselves in the instruction part of their kid's development (at least in terms of physically being there) depends on the age, personality,etc of the kid. By the time they are in HS, a parent should probably be able to have a conversation with their kid before they work with them about what their instructor is emphasizing. An answer of "I have no idea" might be a good indication that you may need to move on with that particular instructor....
Agree older age kids can have the maturity to be engaged for themselves and bring that conversation to their parents.
Have the responsibility to put working on technical lesson feedback on there own schedule.

13 & under...not so much.
Still there can be very responsible young kids but not all.

And I am talking about a private instruction schedule where the parents are included with me standing there saying let's remember to work on our XYZ on own time sb homework.

Jun 8, 2016
And I am talking about a private instruction schedule where the parents are included with me standing there saying let's remember to work on our XYZ on own time sb homework.
Right, if somebody is standing there in front of you and not paying attention when you are talking with them, that is just rude in general 🤣

Apr 8, 2019
Maybe I'm just cheap, but if my kid is not listening to a coach in a session where I spent time and money to be there, she would not be given another lesson.

I see kids who are not engaged all the time. I wonder why a parent would spend so much time and money on something their daughter is just not that excited about. I mean when all is said and done, softball costs me as much as a small car payment. Plus all the time driving, attending tournaments, working on her game is like a part time job. If my kid isn't fired up, fantastic! I'm going to go golfing.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Maybe I'm just cheap, but if my kid is not listening to a coach in a session where I spent time and money to be there, she would not be given another lesson.

I see kids who are not engaged all the time. I wonder why a parent would spend so much time and money on something their daughter is just not that excited about. I mean when all is said and done, softball costs me as much as a small car payment. Plus all the time driving, attending tournaments, working on her game is like a part time job. If my kid isn't fired up, fantastic! I'm going to go golfing.
In keeping with the main topic of the post~
How would you respond to the polls? Do you see a parent role in the situation of playing on teams?

Apr 8, 2019
In keeping with the main topic of the post~
How would you respond to the polls? Do you see a parent role in the situation of playing on teams?
I'm a little unclear about what the poll is asking. Or maybe I'm just splitting hairs. Do you mean the coaches directions are not followed because the player isn't listening, or is disengaged, or if the player just disregards them? An example of that might be backing up a throw, or running hard in practice. If so, my kids have once or maybe twice to get their act together before I step in. To me it boils down to being a good teammate and the activity being worth the sacrifices associated.

If you mean something where a skill or movement pattern is involved, like don't drop your hands, or hit oppo on outside pitches, I would be much more understanding. In those cases, I would hope the coach would give guidance on how my DD could work on those skills and I would help her at home when I could. I don't know if I would have a maximum in that case as long as the kid was trying to do the right thing.

Am I on the right track?

Aug 6, 2013
Every team Haley has been on the expectation was that the girls were working outside of practice. I mean it is frequently stated that coaches only get a couple hours a week with a player & work outside practice needs to occur. So along those lines the person working with the player outside of practice would be a parent. Sure there are lessons but that is really only an hour or two a week (if they are taking more than that then that family had more money than I ever did, lol). Haley took lessons and you can be sure I was right there at every lesson learning along with her so I could reinforce what she was learning. On days off we would go to the park and practice together. When she pitched that would be almost every day - then when she gave up pitching it would be maybe two/three times a week. I did hang out at her practices but that was mostly because I liked to visit with the other moms who were my main friends since softball was our life. If I noticed she struggled at something we would go and work on that during our park workouts.

Now she is playing 18U and we still go to the field and practice together sometimes. I don't need to work with her like I did when she was younger but we still like that time together. I don't go to her practices because they are long - super long and she can drive herself thank goodness. That being said - she does still do hitting work outside of practice daily and her Dad and I are her hitting coaches. So there is that, lol.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2