POLL-How many times should a coach have to tell their players the same thing over and over

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

How many times?

• 3 times in one day?

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 6 times this weekend?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 15 times this month?

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 3 times in one day player should apply.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • 6 times this weekend parents need to teach discipline at home

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • 15 times this month far too long befor parent involvement

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Or no parent involvement just bench the player

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
Feb 15, 2017
Agree older age kids can have the maturity to be engaged for themselves and bring that conversation to their parents.
Have the responsibility to put working on technical lesson feedback on there own schedule.

13 & under...not so much.
Still there can be very responsible young kids but not all.

And I am talking about a private instruction schedule where the parents are included with me standing there saying let's remember to work on our XYZ on own time sb homework.
A local coach who has a few pitchers at Bama and more in other SEC schools has an easy answer for this when you become her student no matter what the age that she tells both students and parents. You prepare for lessons or you don't get to be a student. Lesson time with an instructor is not a right, but a privilege. And you have to work your way up from getting a lesson when there are openings and cancelations to earning a standing time. Some kids want it, some don't.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
My DD’s hitting instructor and I don’t get along very well so I tend to tune him out…
Tell her you got to elevate to celebrate and she should be good to go and not be semi pro. Tune the rest out..
021dc11bc71dac735f2b65c726bab4ff.jpg

Feb 15, 2017
So True! When DD was pitching she was a "leaner". Pitching coach would basically do nothing with her until she stopped leaning. It got very expensive to go to lessons and learn nothing new but hear, stand up, over and over and over. Her dad would work with her in the yard and repeat stand up over and over. DD never really got out of the habit and would slide back into it very easily, and that might be why she never got out of the low/mid 50's and had to give it up. Some bad habits just can't be broken and that's when it's time to re-evaluate. Thankfully for her she can hit/field very well and is still loving the game even if she's no longer a pitcher.

If your pitching coach can't fix a problem that is body mechanics then it is time to try a new coach. Most pitching issues come from solid fundamentals. If the coach isn't teaching ways to improve and teaching her to be body self aware ( best way to start is close the eyes) it is hard to make changes. Bad habits can be broken but it takes effort from the player and coach.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A local coach who has a few pitchers at Bama and more in other SEC schools has an easy answer for this when you become her student no matter what the age that she tells both students and parents. You prepare for lessons or you don't get to be a student. Lesson time with an instructor is not a right, but a privilege. And you have to work your way up from getting a lesson when there are openings and cancelations to earning a standing time. Some kids want it, some don't.

Absolutely! Have to be clear and upfront with people. And with time develops more responsibility to whats learned!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hmmm🤔
Teach to have discipline.
Or
Be disciplined.

GO DFP!
Blurry line for sure... To me, discipline begins at home. That doesn't mean that a coach or teacher does not have any responsibility in that area, but they cannot be the sole source of discipline. The child will typically not accept that if they are not required the same at home.

It's important for the parents and coaches/teachers to be on the same page. I say coaches/teachers because I really see a lot of parallels between the two roles. A coaches primary job, especially at the younger ages, is to provide instruction. If the child is not understanding or following that instruction, the coach/teacher has a responsibility to help. This may require a conversation with the parents. Is it a lack of understanding that requires a different teaching method? Is the child receiving contradicting instructions? Is the child not practicing/studying on their own? Is more coaching (or a tutor) a possible option? Every situation is different. If the coach/teacher recognizes an issue that requires attention, it is their responsibility to point it out. However, in many cases, they cannot and should not be expected to solve the problem by themselves.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
How about this, parents?
Teach your kids that when coach is talking/instructing they stop talking and look directly at the coach and LISTEN. Respect goes a long way.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
How about this, parents?
Teach your kids that when coach is talking/instructing they stop talking and look directly at the coach and LISTEN. Respect goes a long way.
Ohhh
Respect goes along way...

That's an interesting added word to this conversation. When a player is not responding to hearing/applying the coach after repeating themselves numerous times,
is that then disrespectful?

It could be taken as such!

It certainly can be confusing and make things awkward if it doesn't get handled.

Had considered this perspective trying to figure it out.~ That people are paying their money to be on a team and in that way think it's like service at a restaurant.
Family paying coach to serve you and it's up to coach to make it the best experience for the paying customer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802