POLL-How many times should a coach have to tell their players the same thing over and over

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

How many times?

• 3 times in one day?

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 6 times this weekend?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 15 times this month?

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 3 times in one day player should apply.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • 6 times this weekend parents need to teach discipline at home

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • 15 times this month far too long befor parent involvement

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Or no parent involvement just bench the player

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes this is a follow-up question to the
second-year 12u travel team post about discipline or rather the need for a disciplinarian.

Going to keep it simple and ask this question.

How many times should a coach have to tell a player they need to Sprint.

Or these things
Call the ball on defense
i go, i go
ball, ball

Or
Swing at strikes, or anything close for that matter

👉At what point do the parents need to start supporting the coach threw some sort of home discussion regarding their own daughter having some discipline. Whether that's through disciplinary action or teaching them about discipline, at what point should the parents get involved with their own child?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
At what point do the parents need to start supporting the coach threw some sort of home discussion regarding their own daughter having some discipline. Whether that's through disciplinary action or teaching them about discipline, at what point should the parents get involved with their own child.
There is a very big difference between behavioral issues and performance 'issue'.
Parents should not get involved in on field performance issues ala "Calling the ball", or "two strike approach". More importantly, in most cases is not helpful. Let the coach Coach.

Jun 20, 2015
really depends on what the issue is. some are a single time only, others are multiple times.

and depending on what the issue is, the penalty for ignoring request will escalate as well.

example, my team warm ups start 1 hour before game times. if player is late, they bat last in order. EVERY TIME, NO EXCEPTIONS! And they are told this well in advance. repeatedly being late, will get that player a special spot on the bucket in the dugout. It's amazing how quickly the behavior changes and everyone arrives early to on time. if I the coach can adjust and get there on time, so can all players.

Lack of hustle is like an instant talking to and enjoy the pine. fortunately at 18u, most players with issues have already corrected their issues or moved on.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
There is a very big difference between behavioral issues and performance 'issue'.
Parents should not get involved in on field performance issues ala "Calling the ball", or "two strike approach". More importantly, in most cases is not helpful. Let the coach Coach.

Hmmm? Are you saying parents shouldnt support what the coach is coaching at home?

radness

Dec 13, 2019

That video appears to be about parent coaching your own kid while they're playing in the game and that is not what I'm addressing here.
Specifically addressing
off-the-field conversation parent with child.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Depends on the player. I have always considered myself focused and driven, but not everyone is like that. Some people have difficulty remaining focused. They get distracted easily. Have difficulty understanding certain things. Etc. It takes a while for a coach to get to know each player to that degree, but it can pay dividends in the long run. Sometimes after a while you realize that your coaching style or your explanation of the task is what caused some of the confusion. Some players have difficulty coming forward and asking questions, so they end up making the same mistake again. If the coach notices this, perhaps a different explanation or approach can help the player understand better. On the other hand, sometimes the player isn't interested in learning. The coach has to change the approach in these cases as well...

DD's high school coach was a former college player and very knowledgeable of the sport. The problem was, most of the players were not. I kind of acted like an advisor to the program in that she and her assistants would often ask me questions (long story...). Anyway, they were having an issue where players were struggling with tagging up. Some would run without tagging. Some would stay at the base and never move up. The coach was becoming very frustrated with this and asked for my advice. I explained that the players in particular that were making the mistake were new to the sport and didn't understand what was happening. I suggested taking 30 minutes at an upcoming practice to not only explain the purpose, but to practice it. There were 3 girls on the team that I knew well (including my DD) that I suggested she use as helpers in the teaching process. I also gave her some advice as the 3rd base coach. She would typically just stand there and then get upset when the runner did something wrong. I suggested she get more involved in that process and communicate with the runner both before the pitch and after contact. It didn't take long to get the issue resolved.

May 17, 2012
I didn't like any of the poll choices. You communicate your expectations to the player until they get it. There is no set number of times.

It may be on the first time or they may NEVER understand/execute what you are trying to communicate. You vary your approach of communication and you mix in some bench time if needed (but never to the detriment of the team).

Short of them violating a team rule there isn't' much you can do about it until the season is over.

Diving for a ball in the OF is a good example at the younger ages. You can set expectations, you can practice it, you can communicate the need to dive but at the end of the day if they do dive/don't dive...it's out of your control.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I didn't like any of the poll choices. You communicate your expectations to the player until they get it. There is no set number of times.

It may be on the first time or they may NEVER understand/execute what you are trying to communicate. You vary your approach of communication and you mix in some bench time if needed (but never to the detriment of the team).

Short of them violating a team rule there isn't' much you can do about it until the season is over.

Diving for a ball in the OF is a good example at the younger ages. You can set expectations, you can practice it, you can communicate the need to dive but at the end of the day if they do dive/don't dive...it's out of your control.
Just asking for conversation. Are you saying that you think parents should not support coaching efforts in conversations with their child off the field?
In other words parents should just stay out of it? Or what responsibility if any do you think parents have?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I used to tell all of my teams. No matter what age or sport. I expect 2 things. You do these 2 things and I will be happy with whatever results we get

1. Pay attention, this includes paying attention to what coach is telling you, what your teammates are telling you during a game, and pay attention to the game.
2. Give your full effort.

no matter what when I would ask my team later what 2 thing I expect invariably I would get a blank stare and finally one girl would say. “Have fun”.
My own dd who I coached for many years over many sports probably can’t tell you my 2 things.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Just asking for conversation. Are you saying that you think parents should not support coaching efforts in conversations with their child off the field?
In other words parents should just stay out of it? Or what responsibility if any do you think parents have?
If the parent(s) does not like the coaching and are not willing to support it then they probably should not have joined the team in the first place. Parents should ask questions and take their time before joining $$$ a team. I always encourage DD to listen to the coach. That being said, if a parent overall agrees with coaching but has a disagreement or different point of view about a certain issue or situation, the parent should be able to discuss it with the coach. Everybody has to leave their ego at home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802