POLL~Hitting camp, would you go?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Would you attend?

• YES

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • NO

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When I said college camps are for exposure, I meant that is the only reason to go regardless of whether they have instruction or not.
Yes be selective of which college Camp to go for individual goal!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I voted "yes". But there are some variables to this. DD attended several college camps over the years. Her primary reason was for exposure, but there is always a chance that you could learn something as well.

She had a good understanding of her personal swing, and was able to compare what was being taught. In my opinion that is something that is missing with some instructors. It almost seems that some instructors rely on their students to return. My goal was always to teach in such a way that the student can then diagnose themselves and adjust as needed. Yes, I was always available for questions or for help, but I wasn't always there in person. I have received numerous videos over the years from ex-students playing college ball asking for advice. But, to be honest, they were looking more for a pep talk than mechanical advice. They just needed a confidence boost.

Story: DD worked with the same pitching coach for approximately 6 years. He was a former D1 and D2 women's pitching coach and we trusted his teaching. At a college camp, one of the coaches was working closely with DD and asked her to to make sure she was always pointing her elbow at the catcher after the pitch (and continued to demonstrate what people on this site refer to as HE mechanics). On the next pitch she continued to utilize her own mechanics, but then quickly adjusted her arm after the fact to demonstrate what the coach asked her to. Without a pause, the coach immediately shouted "Great job! Did you see how much faster that pitch was?!?

I tried to stress to always enter the camp with an open mind, but to be careful if anything didn't seem right. Regardless of the situation, always be professional, and courteous.

Feb 24, 2022
I am saying "Yes", because I tell my daughter to try to learn something every time she is on the field, at a camp, clinic, workout, etc. Even if it's just reinforcing that - the way they are teaching something doesn't work for me and I'm good with how I'm doing it. It's still reps, which can only help.

Now, would I go out of my way to spend $ on something where they were going to specifically teach something that is in opposition to what my daughter is learning from her coach/instructor? Probably not, but maybe if there was enough validation to what they were teaching.

Dec 19, 2021
You should take up golf. When your hands start bleeding you should take a break. Lol
Golf + OCD = Divorce

Anyhoo I voted no, but that assumes the player is having SUCCESS with their hitting. So easy to fall off the cliff by injecting new stuff into mechanics, especially if the new stuff is only partially learned. If the player is not being successful then it is time to dump the old method anyway.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Anyhoo I voted no, but that assumes the player is having SUCCESS with their hitting. So easy to fall off the cliff by injecting new stuff into mechanics, especially if the new stuff is only partially learned. If the player is not being successful then it is time to dump the old method anyway.
🙂 purposely left the results of the player using certain mechanics for 2 years out of the poll question.
Your post was nice to read because someone's paying attention!

Also interesting results in that there are plenty of people that PAY to go to camps that they have no idea what is going to be taught.
Perhaps that's because they look at the college or travel organization thats hosting the camp? Perhaps people are influenced by the name or whom is hosting the camp? ( and that can be regardless of knowing how they're going to teach)

Jun 8, 2016
Perhaps that's because they look at the college or travel organization thats hosting the camp? Perhaps people are influenced by the name or whom is hosting the camp? ( and that can be regardless of knowing how they're going to teach)
or perhaps a lot of people are clueless....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28