POLL- do you think the Umpire determines who wins?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

? Who controls who wins?

• Yes umpire controls who wins

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • No teams control who wins

Votes: 33 91.7%

• Total voters

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
That's the topic
Do you think the umpire determines who wins?

For conversation~
If you do think the Umpire determines who wins can you please explain why?

If you do not think the Umpire determines who wins can you explain why?

💥GO DFP 💥

Dec 12, 2020
That's the topic
Do you think the umpire determines who wins?

For conversation~
If you do think the Umpire determines who wins can you please explain why?

If you do not think the Umpire determines who wins can you explain why?

GO DFP

Irrelevant, imo. Solely focusing on our internal locus of control is all that matters, and any umpire human behavior is what it is, and leaves an opportunity to look deeply at what we as a team could do to eliminate that possibility. It's the only way to find peace, and look forward to the next play/game. Own it and move on.

I'd like to hear examples though.

Last edited:

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
Im in! Umpires DO NOT determine who wins.

We've all seen our share of inconsistencies, real or perceived, with umpires. But, the long and short of it is, an umpire never swings a bat or throws a ball. Games are determined by what teams do or do not do.

When a game comes down to an umpire's call, that means that the players did or did not do enough to stay out of that situation.

Any disagreement with this is overlooking what's been written above and will come down to "what if..." or "what about..."

Thank you for your time.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Clearly, there are some cases where a bad call changes the final score of the win. But the poll question makes it seem like this is a common occurrence.

More generally, I would credit the team that gets the most hits and allows the fewest hits.
It is a common occurrence that people blame the Umpire for things.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
IMO only the teams decide it. Adjust your game to what’s going on. A missed call is just that, move on. Giving the team something to deflect blame is not helpful in the long run.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Umpires *can* blow calls and cost teams a game, as was seen in the Alabama Mizzou game a few weeks ago, but that is rare. As much as I hate it when umpires make an obvious bad call, putting a poll out to seemingly bait people into venting about umpires doesn't help the current shortage of umpires around the country.

Edit: I now know Rad's intentions weren't to draw everyone under the beehive then throw a rock at it and watch everyone run from them. I stand by my statement that people will use this forum to bash umpires, which I've been guilty of myself.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2015
maybe not directly , but they certainly can influence the game to favor one team versus other.

Example, umpire refuses to call strikes that are at the knees, Team A has a dominate drop ball pitcher.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Umpires *can* blow calls and cost teams a game, as was seen in the Alabama Mizzou game a few weeks ago, but that is rare. As much as I hate it when umpires make an obvious bad call, putting a poll out to seemingly bait people into venting about umpires doesn't help the current shortage of umpires around the country.
Really? A poll to bait people to vent about umpires...NO NO NO!!!

Asking this post because people point out umpires inconsistencies and bad umpiring so much just want to see if they actually think it controls who wins. Simple🙂

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Perhaps This Thread can help people recognize that in the greater perspective of the game the Umpire does NOT control who wins and THAT
*can hopefully take some of the brunt of crap off of the backs of umpires!

Just in case want to include the perspective of others that may feel as though an Umpire is of such great influence they actually control who wins.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802