POLL~ Do you think it matters...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Does if you like the position matter to results.

• YES

Votes: 15 100.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Do you think it matters...
That players like the position they are playing?

Could performance be affected by liking or disliking the position being played?

:)
A question of the mental side overcomming the physical side...

Nov 8, 2018
Do you think it matters...
That players like the position they are playing?

Could performance be affected by liking or disliking the position being played?

:)
A question of the mental side overcomming the physical side...

I believe it matters. And it’s Probably more mental than anything. If you don’t like a position and are not comfortable there it’s tough to get motivated to play it. I would say it’s kid specific too. Some it may bother and others may not care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Another reason for big rosters. If you don't like the position to the point it effects your effort/play then you will be playing left bench.
Lol
Or maybe its the reason even teams with big rosters arent more competitive than less rostered teams...

Because often they pick up to shuffle players where-ever they want and players dont like where their being shufled...

Little humor~
If you dont like it YOUR shuffled.
Someone has play to that position...just because choach didnt pick a player from tryouts who likes that position
One of you 4 second basemans has to change positions...
Lol

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I think it's important that each player feels good about her role/identity on her team. You can't always guarantee that, but a coach should recognize this element when trying to optimize the roster. All players want to feel valued. And if they enjoy their position/role, they'll probably do it better.

I remember applying this theory to my last 12U team. We platooned at catcher. One of the catchers might've been our best defensive 1B, and the other might've been our best defensive 2B. But when not catching, each usually would play RF. I did that because the alternative was having two other girls play RF, and that sucks at 12U. So those two were the starting 2B and 1B. They were virtually as good, so any slight difference in skill level was outweighed by them having that role and specializing in them. The C/RF were happy because they were the catchers.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
the alternative was having two other girls play RF, and that sucks at 12U

12U Rec? Yeah, that sucks. 12U competitive? It starts to matter a whole lot. It doesn't take long before RF is as important as any other OF position. Lots of games are lost by teams trying to hide someone there.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
12U Rec? Yeah, that sucks. 12U competitive? It starts to matter a whole lot. It doesn't take long before RF is as important as any other OF position. Lots of games are lost by teams trying to hide someone there.

I wasn't comparing RF to other OF positions, just to the infield. I'd never tell a player that it sucks, but I also wouldn't lie and tell them that it's as active or important as the infield. It's just not true at 12U at any level. Being a RF in 12U is one of the least enjoyable things a person can do in any youth sport. Even in 18U, you can go a game without touching the ball. I know that's not a popular opinion, but it's what it is.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I wasn't comparing RF to other OF positions, just to the infield. I'd never tell a player that it sucks, but I also wouldn't lie and tell them that it's as active or important as the infield. It's just not true at 12U at any level. Being a RF in 12U is one of the least enjoyable things a person can do in any youth sport. Even in 18U, you can go a game without touching the ball. I know that's not a popular opinion, but it's what it is.

It's not enjoyable because coaches don't teach it, so players don't think it's important. It's true that a RF can go a game without seeing the ball, but I've also seen DD play CF and even 1B without touching the ball. I saw a whole lot of well hit balls to RF from 12U onward. DD was an infielder as a younger player because she was often the best ball handler on the team. As she got older and moved to higher levels, that wasn't true. She learned how to play OF at 12U. We worked on it as much as anything else, and I made sure she played out there as a HC. When she moved to teams where I didn't get to decide the lineup, she still got her IF time, but being a reliable OF resulted in far less bench time than those who didn't make that effort.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"When she moved to teams where I didn't get to decide the lineup, she still got her IF time, but being a reliable OF resulted in far less bench time than those who didn't make that effort."
^^^^^^^well said
Be a ball player. Pitching is the only real specialty position. You want to get ABs be versatile.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802