POLL~ About the coaches of your team...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Yes or No daughters on team

• Head Coach YES has daughter on team

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Head Coach No daughter on team

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • YES All coaches have daughters on team

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • NO coaches have daughters on team

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Only assistant coaches have daughters on team

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Organization provided coaching opportunities for former college players. Let the coaches coach and let the parents parent. No conflict of interest.
✔️

HC with 20 years of experience is nice to have. Not all former college players do a good job of coaching. It took me 10 years sitting on a bucket learning the intricacies of the game. Why would I expect a 23 year recent college to know how to coach the game right out of the chute. However, they did a good job of running practices and drills.

Lots of parents do a fine job coaching with their kids on the team. I did it for a bunch a years. DD asked me to step away from coaching her team. This is 8th grade. She didn't say it, but I have a feelling some of the girls might have been talking sh$t about me to her and she didn't like it. Just a guess. I also butted heads with the former college player coach, who was very inexperienced. She treated the players differently and got frustrated easily. Didn't help that her 3 year old kid was in the dugout alot!
A huge factor that I think is critically important about coaching is communication skills. While we can learn communication skills say in course-studies, think longevity teaches us how to maneuver with it.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022
10-14u HC no kid, 2ACs kids
15u HC no kid but a relative, 2AC kids
16u HC and ACs no kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
All coaches have kids on the team is pulling ahead...
🐎🐎🐎🐎🐎

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
It is nice to see that there are so many teams out there without parent coaches. Unfortunately that is not the norm in our area. Honestly, if parents were not involved coaching, I doubt there would be a travel ball team within 50 miles of my house. The truth is that most youth sports would not exist without parent coaches. That said, there are definitely advantages to finding the right non-parent coach, but you have to assume that they should be paid. Most parents I talk to would like to see a non-parent coach, but don't want their annual dues to increase in order to compensate that coach. I'm afraid you can't have it both ways.

Jun 8, 2016
Most parents I talk to would like to see a non-parent coach, but don't want their annual dues to increase in order to compensate that coach. I'm afraid you can't have it both ways.
We pay 50 bucks a month for our two non-parent coaches. DD's team only had 1 non-parent coach up till this past Fall but added another but I am not sure if he is actually getting paid other than his hotel costs (we are still only paying for 1 room just like when only had one non-parent coach) HC is also college AC and I think the TB AC wants to make in-roads to the college game so is using this as a free "internship". The HC was a parent coach at one point. I think he is only taking pay to justify to his wife why he is spending so much time away from the house.. 😂

Jun 8, 2016
Sooo funny!!! 😂😂😂
I know if I was coaching and my father was there with me I would probably think twice about being so hard on my kid... 🤷‍♂️ My conversations with my Dad with regards to my kids sports often help to put things in better perspective (for the time being at least..) since he went through the whole process already with little, hot-headed Peter..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478