POLL~ About the coaches of your team...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Yes or No daughters on team

• Head Coach YES has daughter on team

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Head Coach No daughter on team

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • YES All coaches have daughters on team

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • NO coaches have daughters on team

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Only assistant coaches have daughters on team

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
We pay 50 bucks a month for our two non-parent coaches. DD's team only had 1 non-parent coach up till this past Fall but added another but I am not sure if he is actually getting paid other than his hotel costs (we are still only paying for 1 room just like when only had one non-parent coach) HC is also college AC and I think the TB AC wants to make in-roads to the college game so is using this as a free "internship". The HC was a parent coach at one point. I think he is only taking pay to justify to his wife why he is spending so much time away from the house.. 😂
I talked to a couple former coaches I know in order to gauge their interest in coaching a team without a family member. You are getting a bargain.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I get paid to help train teams. In this way I can support multiple teams, coaches & players. Decided to stop coaching some years ago because of the tanglement of parents on a learning curve understanding development and dedication to it. Very hard to gather a group with everybody having the same goal.
Not my interest to control the roster or handle lineups, or playing time and who gets what. It is my perspective players need to earn their position. So I help train all the players to be able to accomplish a goal. Plenty of opportunities in today's structure of games where things like friendlies afford playing time and the opportunity to earn a spot for tournaments.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I've seen and worked with some good parent coaches and been around non-parent coaches who I wouldn't let my kid anywhere near. Yep..."daddy ball" bias was often present, both toward and against their own kid. However, if the coach was otherwise competent and fair, I viewed it as a trade-off for the huge personal commitment of time and sometimes money. Non-parent and even professional coaches can have their own unreasonable biases and strange thinking...HS parents rant about their kid's coaches all the time.

Ultimately, how any team is run and the personalities involved will have its own balance sheet of goods and others. While the "daddy ball" bias can range from amusing to a deal-breaker depending on your kid's position, what you usually get with a parent coach is a personal investment. If that is combined with competence, that's the foundation for a successful team.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802