Pocket radar ball/smart coach radar

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Pocket R

Measure - Train - Improve
Jun 12, 2013
Santa Rosa, CA
If you ever have any questions about the way the Smart Coach Radar and the App work, we are always happy to help. We can also answer any questions you have about the differences between the different radar guns out there. The Bushnell gun is less expense and can be a fine choice if you understand how it works and the reason you sometimes get different readings. Whether a radar gun is designed to track the ball in flight and find the top speed out of the hand is very important because the ball slows down rapidly in flight due to the air resistance. We are always happy to provide you with an honest assessment of all the differences in different products and let people make the best choice for their situation and budget. This is why we provide a 30 day risk free trial on our web-site for any of our products. We want everyone to be very happy with their choice. Please call us on our toll-free support line at 888.381.2672 weekdays from 9 AM to 5 PM Pacific Time and we can help answer any of your questions. Feel free to ask for me personally. Thanks,
Chris Stewart / President and Co-Founder, Pocket Radar Inc.

Reactions: G&G

Pocket R

Measure - Train - Improve
Jun 12, 2013
Santa Rosa, CA
We used glove radar until 12U, then the Bushnell until year 2 of 14U and now the Pocket radar with the app. (so I don't have to hold it) The Bushnell registered the same speeds, maybe a little slower, but with many more outliers or misses the older it got. In my experience with pocket radar so far, one thing I think people confuse with it is that it picks up more than you expect.

In constant mode it will pick up throws to second, exit velocity, and even bat speed on a swing and miss.(not all the time) Fortunately it time stamps the readings so it's fairly easy to delete the garbage, but sometimes it misses the pitch and just gets the exit velocity. I personally think this is where some of 60+ 12 & 14 y/o pitchers come from: people confusing an exit velocity for a pitch speed.

It can also pick up another field if it's directly across. This summer I set up behind home and after the game I looked the history to see our girl threw 189 pitches, and a lot of them well over her top speed. Looked at the data and saw she was throwing a pitch every 5-10 seconds - LOL. Either that or it was getting practice swings or something.

Anyway - I love it for lessons. I can set the iPad where she can see it and it's just on the whole time. After time it just becomes part of the atmosphere and she stops muscling it up for a speed test. We just record the practice and she can have constant feedback while she works. Just get a tripod and an external battery and you're set.
Jeffrey, I wanted to mention that there is a speed range setting in the App that will allow you to eliminate picking up some of these speeds such as the throws from the catcher back to the pitcher. Of course if the exit speed off the bat is similar to the incoming pitch speeds this will not work. It also has an Auto-Stop mode that allows you to arm the radar gun and only pick up the next speed and then stop until you arm it again. These features may help you avoid some of the extra readings you mention in your post. If you ever want any tips just call us on our toll-free support line at 888.381.2672 weekdays from 9 AM to 5 PM Pacific Time and we can help answer any of your questions. Feel free to ask for me personally. Thanks,
Chris Stewart / President and Co-Founder, Pocket Radar Inc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802