PLEASE STOP SAYING 'your doing it wrong'

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Coaches,
Have you caught yourself saying this
'you're doing it wrong?'
Are you the coach that says
'you're doing it wrong?'

Heres the issue within it~
*Theres a GREAT CHANCE the player your speaking to was previously told/taught to do it that way!

So the player either now
1. doubts you
2. thinks your wrong
3. thinks the other coach is wrong
4. realizes coaches dont really know what their doing
5. goes along with your preference, recognizing the next coach may think this is wrong too!
6. recognizes they need to change
7. recognizes what they are doing
(eventho the coach thinks it wrong)
works really good. So the coach is a jerk.

HOW ABOUT SOME GREAT SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO COMMUNICATE BETTER THAN SAYING
'your doing it wrong'

...please toss those words out of the coaching vocabulary! :)

Last edited:

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I've said many times before, there are 2 basic kinds of coaches (and a blend between the two): 1.) Coach learns how to communicate to each specific player and instructs those players in the manner they best learn. 2.) Coach communicates one way and demands players learn that way.

Each type has history of success. One requires more work by the coach. The other requires more players.

Oct 26, 2019
I've said many times before, there are 2 basic kinds of coaches (and a blend between the two): 1.) Coach learns how to communicate to each specific player and instructs those players in the manner they best learn. 2.) Coach communicates one way and demands players learn that way.

Each type has history of success. One requires more work by the coach. The other requires more players.
Bobby Knight comes to mind as a prime example of the second coach. He was very good at coaching one type of player. You were either a Bobby Knight guy or you weren’t.

radness

Dec 13, 2019

@Josh what a gem of feedback!

That really should be noted as a pay attention to the coach when going to a tryout or deciding a team for recruitment.
Hey coach, are you a person who can communicate to different personalities or are you a coach that everyone has to do it your way?

Thats a great question to ask of ourselves too!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
‘ you’re not doing it right’ .. Better? 😆 . You should always ask beforehand, ‘who taught you that?’ Or ‘why do you do that?’ I always blame Dad Haha. They take it pretty well

I learned at a clinic that the ratio is 5 to 1. Positives to negatives. In Rec you should be more about fun and skill development. Travel ball is eat or get eaten. Teach em how to compete positively.As well as some IQ stuff w some skill intertwined. Emotions run high sometimes. that’s the best part of the game! Coaches have gotta be self-aware and want what’s best for their players not him/herself.

My motto is ‘ I give you my best effort, that’s all I expect in return’, nobody’s perfect’’.. I stick to that pretty well. Holds us both accountable. Not many coaches think that way. They like to be the ‘Boss’. Usually younger or ego driven coaches. If you want to WIN to much, your players will suffer. Even the stars.

had an issue w my oldest dd. She’s learning golf right now and I get to teach her. Long story short.. she wasn’t giving her best effort and complaining w negative energy which affected her practice performance. That was my ‘IN’. 😆 I eventually lit her up like a Christmas tree verbally. Gave her the effort speech that she knew and heard many times. She shut up and worked through her issue.

Jun 8, 2016
For the most part, with regards to skills in softball/baseball/basketball, talk is cheap anyway, in particular at the younger ages. Telling a kid their left toe needs to be hitting the ground as they field a ground ball (as a RH) isn't going to do sh*&. Set them up with a drill which will instill the correct movement (and tell them what this movement is and why this drill will help) and have them do it 5000 times. During that timeframe where the reps are put in, continue to remind them of what is trying to be achieved. Larry Bird and Steph Curry didn't learn how to shoot via somebody telling them how to do it..

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Telling a kid their left toe needs to be hitting the ground as they field a ground ball (as a RH) isn't going to do sh*&. Set them up with a drill which will instill the correct movement (and tell them what this movement is and why you this drill will help) and have them do it 5000 times. During that timeframe where the reps are put in, continue to remind them of what is trying to be achieved. Larry Bird and Steph Curry didn't learn how to shoot via somebody telling them how to do it..
👍
Offer tools for success,
not words of distress.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
1. Explain the goal. Why are we trying to accomplish?
2. Demonstrate the technique. Explain how the technique relates to the goal.
3. Let the player do it, and offer corrections.

I always insist that the players do the technique correctly. But, they never mind... They see the connection between the goal and the technique

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478