Please respect your umpires

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
"DD has made passing comments about wanting to be an umpire for a low level rec league that is near us. It's not even remotely competitive and is really geared for beginner players. I think it would be a good experience for her."

Bearing in mind that even some beginner rec parents are convinced they have the next Montana Fouts and can be jerks. :)

Mar 1, 2013
Bearing in mind that even some beginner rec parents are convinced they have the next Montana Fouts and can be jerks. :)
Every blue has this story - calling rec 10u with "local" rules that modify the strike zone (often chin to shin/box to box) so you ring up someone's DD "power hitter" on a strike right at the armpits and they go nuts screaming that your strike zone is terrible. It's hard not to engage, but you just "thick skin it" and move on.

May 29, 2015
Every blue has this story - calling rec 10u with "local" rules that modify the strike zone (often chin to shin/box to box) so you ring up someone's DD "power hitter" on a strike right at the armpits and they go nuts screaming that your strike zone is terrible. It's hard not to engage, but you just "thick skin it" and move on.

Remember, the strike zone is only terrible when it goes against you. ;)

Aug 25, 2019
In New Jersey, and probably in other states too, there are not enough new umpires to replace retiring umpires. Part of the problem is the behavior of parents and coaches. Who wants to put up with that for the money they are paid.
to be honest, in the two years I've done travel ball, all levels, Rec ball, and just completed my first year of school ball (all middle school, ugh) I really never had a bad experience with a coach or parent. Sure, I hear the comments about a pitch I called or a play in the field, but never had anyone really berate me, so I think parents and coaches are getting better at behaving themselves, but this is just my experience.

May 29, 2015
"DD has made passing comments about wanting to be an umpire for a low level rec league that is near us. It's not even remotely competitive and is really geared for beginner players. I think it would be a good experience for her."

I still remember the first game my daughter called ... it was a local 10u rec softball game and the there was a lady losing her mind in the crowd. WARNING: I DO NOT CONDONE THIS (but I was proud of it). My daughter called time, walked over to the fence, and said "Really lady? It's 10u softball." The lady just stared at her. My daughter walked back on the field, the lady packed up her chair and left after she was embarrassed by a 15-year old. 😂

Aug 25, 2019

Although this is true too, the worst parents are the ones with the younger kids. The older the kids get, the better the parents are, usually.

May 29, 2015
to be honest, in the two years I've done travel ball, all levels, Rec ball, and just completed my first year of school ball (all middle school, ugh) I really never had a bad experience with a coach or parent. Sure, I hear the comments about a pitch I called or a play in the field, but never had anyone really berate me, so I think parents and coaches are getting better at behaving themselves, but this is just my experience.

I believe it is becoming less frequent ... but it seems to be worse when it happens. I'm not sure if that is true, or just my demeanor and tolerance changing.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
10rec is the only level I've had (in 2 years) to ask a coach deal with a parent. Sadly, I'm convinced the parent was drunk....nothing else makes sense for the way he was behaving.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri

While this is true. This isn't what most regions classify as "rec league". It's barely softball and the local parks & rec often utilize Jr High/High school kids to call the games. It's pretty tame and most parents understand what it is....not competitive. But, it would give DD an opportunity to have to run a game. Hopefully giving her a better appreciation for the umpires working her games.

There was a younger (mid-20's) female umpire who worked one of DD's (Jr High) school ball games. There was a family group (opposing team) who just rode her all game long. I couldn't understand it. Way to make her not want to continue being an umpire.

Jul 14, 2018
I’m normally the most mild-mannered guy around, but I lost my cool a little this weekend and yelled at a group of our team’s parents. HPU made a questionable call on a play at the plate that went in our favor, and the other team’s parents got a little unruly.

He then made an obvious make-up call that benefited the other team the next inning, at which point our parents started yelling. I summoned my best Dad voice and yelled, “Hey! Knock it off!” It worked :)

I’m the streaming guy on our team, so I usually say something nice to the umps while setting up before the game. It was hot, and I said something banal like “stay cool out there.” The ump replied that he did three tours in Iraq and that 90 degrees was nothing.

Always remember that those are real people working these games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45