Playing up and performing well

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2020
So my DD plays 10u travel and was asked to play up 12u for her organization by her previous coach. Anyway she was in left field and left field in 10u is much different in 12u. (Not too much action in 10u). Anyway, 1st inning, bases loaded fly ball to her makes a routine catch. Next batter hits a fly ball to her left and make the catch look routine. At the end of the inning the girls were pumped, I don’t think any of the girls or parents expected that from her (only one who may have had any idea was the coach). Couple innings later another fly ball to her she had to move to her right and makes another routine catch. Later in the game (way out of reach in the other teams favor) girl hit a shot out to left field to foul territory and my daughter makes a tough running catch in foul territory look routine. Again everyone was pumped and assistant coach says that’s a big league play (we were so stinking proud of her and I may have been the loudest at the field. Ha) Anyway they lose, but she got the game ball and coach said he’s never seen that type of play in the field and all the girls say they need her on the team. For a girl that shows little emotion and is pretty quiet, we knew she was pumped by her ear to ear smile.

Fast forward a few days later, I see the coach at the field and mentions to me that’s the other travel coach asked who she was and that he was impressed by her play. Interestingly enough we are looking around for a new team (long story) and going to have her try out for this team she played against.

Needless to say, we were very proud of her and she was proud of herself and proved to herself she could do anything if she works hard. We try to reinforce that she has the ability and capable of performing and that she belongs. She puts in lots of work and paid off and reinforces her hard work.

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
Awesome! I love when girls love to play outfield and parents love and understand that their daughters play in the outfield because they excel there (not saying she doesn't play other positions because I assume she probably does on her regular team).

Not too many parent brags about outfield play in 10/12U but there should be.

Jul 27, 2020
Awesome! I love when girls love to play outfield and parents love and understand that their daughters play in the outfield because they excel there (not saying she doesn't play other positions because I assume she probably does on her regular team).

Not too many parent brags about outfield play in 10/12U but there should be.

Thanks. Even when we are practicing pitching she wants me to throw pop ups back to her just to get familiar with catching fly balls and even calls “I got it”. Ever since she’s played 10u travel and has been in the outfield she has done very well there and haven’t seen any girls come nearly as close to catching anything. To say everything was routine would be a lie but she is athletic and coordinated and sometimes lucky. She does pitch and has played all infield positions and at time she questions why she’s out there when she is fully capable to play any infield position . At times when she is in the outfield at 10u she gets bored due to lack of action and I think her coach puts her out there bc she can actually make the plays.

From what I can tell moving up she’ll have lots more opportunities and think she’ll be comfortable out there because of these experiences.

Nov 18, 2013
Congratulations! That’s quite the statement that the opposing coach was asking about her.

If she’s interested in joining the other team in the fall just ask the coach. Don’t wait for tryouts. She had hers already when she chased all those balls down.

Jul 27, 2020
Congratulations! That’s quite the statement that the opposing coach was asking about her.

If she’s interested in joining the other team in the fall just ask the coach. Don’t wait for tryouts. She had hers already when she chased all those balls down.

Thank you. I never thought about that and will certainly do that. I appreciate it.

Oct 4, 2018
That's great.

Y'all's choice, but I prefer to play "better" than play up. My DD could be on good 14U teams or great 12U teams. We choose the latter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802