Playing time based on cheering

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
There are 2 moments that stand out for me. The first I was assistant coach and I jumped on dd after the game about not be totally into the game while she was in the dugout with her team batting. It was a difficult ride home. Finally dd said "dad I am not the same player you were. I will never be the same player you were. You need to let me be mine own player." It hit me like an 18 wheeler. I realized she was right and I was the person in the wrong.
The second time she was dancing in the outfield to the music between innings. I grumbled to another dad I always sat with that she should be serious and warming up the whole time. He looked at me said she is 2-2 with a homerun and a double you need to chill out and let her have a little fun.
For your situation every girl has to be coached a little differently to get the most out of them. Your coach may not realize this and be trying to coach everyone the same. This is a hard lesson for a coach to learn and takes a lot of experience. Even then as a coach you sometimes make a mistake in the correct approach to get the most out of a player.
Some coaches just treat every player as an identical clone and refuse to acknowledge that these are a collection of individuals that are all different. If your coach is like this your only choice is to find another team.
If I was her coach I would appreciate her coming to me to discuss things. It would give me a better understanding of her. Hopefully this would lead to a better coach player relationship.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
It's great that your daughter was able to explain herself. Even greater that you were smart enough to hear her.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Observation and paying attention are practiced skills and does not come natural to many players.
So possibly engaging the players and paying attention to what's happening on the field so that they are cheering about it

~means they are not

Only sitting in the dugout with idol
, chit chat or even a new puppy will distract them.

Hmmm whats natural🤔
little kids cheering and singing together comes a lot more natural to them than it does to play softball.

In my opinion this conversation about this particular team is lacking some detail. And that is their previous experience and level of play including the coaches.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Possibly may want to cheer for the guest players because without them may not be able to field a team 🥳
As with most team topics there are plenty of other things too concern with. Cheering doesn't seem to be the worst topic.
In this case be willing to wager that becoming a better softball player will help playing time.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Illinois
100% not the real reason she is not playing. If she never said a word and was a shut down short stop, who hit bombs, she would be in the line up. Dumbest thing I have ever heard a coach say.
I agree with most of this except I have hear some really dumb $hit come out of some coaches mouths. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Jun 27, 2018
Get away from that coach. ASAP. One of the stupidest things I ever heard a coach say. Hey coach, quiet kids can play too. Being loud doesn’t come naturally for some. Get a clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 19, 2018
In my opinion this conversation about this particular team is lacking some detail. And that is their previous experience and level of play including the coaches.
This was my first question that was never answered. a 14U Coach surprised that only 9 players can be on the field has me wondering.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
This was my first question that was never answered. a 14U Coach surprised that only 9 players can be on the field has me wondering.

Might be that the OP meant to say that team could only 'bat' nine. Though it's been a few years now, I can recall DD playing in a 14U tournament where you could bat more than 9.

Apr 20, 2015
Might be that the OP meant to say that team could only 'bat' nine. Though it's been a few years now, I can recall DD playing in a 14U tournament where you could bat more than 9.

Still that’s a coach that’s only done very low level softball if this has never come up before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 20, 2015
most tourneys nowadays allow roster batting, some entire tourney, others pool play only then 9 /10 in bracket play.

IMO roster batting is the much better option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802