Playing on a top level team not local to you ??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 4, 2019
My DD is going to be first year 12u this fall and into next spring. My question is for those that have joined top level national teams that are not local to you,

How did you realize it was time to tryout for one?
How do attending practices work if your several hrs away from this team?
How old was your DD when you made this commitment?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
What does top level national team mean?

Just asking as that can have big varriance in what that describes.
Could be just a more broader traveling schedule.
Or
A specific national tournament goal in schedule.
If so which one?
Or
Top 10 historically.
Or
Just one of the 100's teams that try hard chasing the top 10.

Apr 4, 2019
Well.... I dont even know. I just have in mind, a team that is consistently playing high level competition and can go to some of these big national tournaments and compete.
A respectable team that is not focusing on dominating the local travel schedule scene

Jun 6, 2018
Typically you do not try out for them, they find your daughter and recruit you.

Then a lot of times it is a few hours drive each way for winter practices. Tournament time is typically a lot of travel from state to state to show up and play.

I have known some parents at 14u and 16u levels that have spent $12-15k in just travel. That does not include team fees, lessons, equipment, etc….

Not quite sure how that expense ever gets recouped and is worth it but most believe in the pipe dream. I will say those types of teams end up getting their players recruited but I always say look at the schools the girls are going to. I typically will see teams bragging all players recruited but then seeing like 2-3 D-1’s and then the remaining 12-15 being D2, D3, NAIA, Juco’s. Nothing wrong with that but they sell parents on “this team will get your kid the D1 offers”. So do your research and know exactly what you are getting into and what your daughter is willing to do. A lot do it for 1-2 years and quit (burnout) so that is a ton of money wasted.

May 27, 2013
My dd was asked to join one of these teams at 14U. Our PC at the time had recommended dd to the coach as she had reached out to him looking for a pitcher. This actually happened in the middle of the summer when she was already playing for another team. We decided to skip it (while very honored that they asked dd after reviewing video of her) because we were already committed to her other team at the time.

For this team it would have required lots of practice by herself with a plan developed by the coach. Then she would have to workout with the team on the weekends. Too far of a drive and airfare does not grow on trees so we politely declined. Plus dd was going to be just starting HS and it was just going to be too much on her plate, especially at that age.

While it definitely would have opened doors for her (coach was/is an asst D1 coach), it just wasn’t what dd was looking for at the time. Every weekend playing in a different state all fall and summer would have been extremely pricey for us.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
How did you realize it was time to tryout for one?
They generally find you or you let them know you are interested and they will let you know if there's mutual interest. There are normally no tryouts in the same way local teams tryout players.

How do attending practices work if your several hrs away from this team?

You don't. Maybe they have a bootcamp/get to know you practice before the season or an org clinic mid-season. Or the occasional practice the day before a big tourney. But you are expected to develop locally through instruction/independent work/gym work/practice with other players in similar situations/etc. We went to maybe 2-3 team practices per year. Meet the team at the tourney, play together and then back home to work.

How old was your DD when you made this commitment?

After her Freshman year in HS. So 2nd year 14U (not that the team played much 14U - it was mostly 16U/HS with 14U Nationals)
It was at that point DD made it very clear she wanted to play college and put the effort in.

But we are in Florida - you have LOTS fo options for softball locally and nationally in-state. If you live in area where there is limited high level softball, that is a different story. Many girls HAVE to travel further to get to the level they want/need.

Mar 3, 2017
We went at @ 2nd year 14s. After much discussion amongst the family. We travel 4 hrs for practice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2015
Agree with most posters here. You have your historically strong national programs. To see these look at the last few years of teams that play PGF premier at 14u and above. See if any of them are in your geographic reach and then reach out to the coach. These types of teams are really only necessary if your dd has P5 or high level mid major goals and even then it really just makes it easier not necessary. There are also lots of teams just a tic below these teams that go to plenty of good tournaments and showcases but maybe don't get the high end field placement. You have to work a little harder with emails and video to coaches to get them to show up but its definitely doable. If your dd has goals of d2 or below a solid regional team with good coaching that plays in the area of the schools she is interested in is the way to go. Look at the website for the school and often the travel team is listed. You'll see a pattern start to emerge. As someone else said no tryouts, rare practices, its takes a highly talented highly motivated athlete and family to make that work...and money since with little practice there is a lot of private lessons involved as well as time and travel.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
I agree with the above.

That said, you can always upgrade to a better team. And there are always lots of better teams. Some might be closer to your home than others.

I've learned two things here on these forums, from moms and dads who went through this before me and passed along their wisdom.

If your DD wants to reach her full softball potential, you have to come to grips with:

1. You won't be playing with your best friends
2. You will have a commute

Now your DD will make new friends, and your commute might not be too bad. But if you need DD to be with her life-long friends and you need a short commute, you simply won't be on the team that lets her reach her full potential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802