Playing on a top level team not local to you ??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I have watched quite a few of the pgf premier championhips. Some good softball being played for sure at the younger age groups. Also mistakes I see often at local tournaments.

RADcatcher.. you make a good point with folks making decisions without knowing what the choices look like...

We arent making any choices anytime soon. But it does make me ponder another question and it is probably a family decision and REAL evaluation of DD's commitment and ability. But, If and when the opportunity presents itself, what is the main end goal for these DD's and families.

You see alot of these interviews/ players thanking folks. Many times they thank family (mom and dad) for pushing them or not letting them quit and how it was not always easy............ Or something along those lines

With that, I dont buy into the thought that every P5 level player was "All About" softball all the time. So what kind of Motherly/Fatherly knudging happens throughout the journey to help keep focus on an end goal (not knowing what it is). Like I said I would love to see her become a gator one day (really any big softball school, as long as its SEC😂😂😂but we are Gator fans.),but at 10-12 I have know idea what my daughters life goals are at this point and I am not dumb enough to think she will follow my every guidance as she is entering an intresting part of her life (Soon).
I have caught enough of her pitches over the last few years to completly admit we dont alway see eye to eye!!!!!
At 10-12 YO, unless CFenton is short for Bo Jackson and your wife is Jackie Joynee-Kersee, it is pretty hard to predict where they will be in 5 or 6 years :LOL: Keep it fun,keep it interesting and if it seems like she needs (and wants) more than what her current team/org can provide, then look to make a change. My kid is 11 and while I wouldn't say I push her, there are times when I expect too much out of her (in terms of performance..) :cautious: My view of the game is skewed by only watching 30 YO MLB players for 30+ years and an inability to see what is right in front of my eyes in terms of peer performance..I am slowly calibrating.

May 29, 2019
What is the goal? Is it to play at the top level, play at some level, or get college paid for?

What's the desired post-college outcome?

I've seen some very good players whose opportunities narrowed considerably because their test scores sucked. I've seen some very, very good players get some nice opportunities, including P5, but not make it through one year at a school that's not even very selective because they were unprepared for college level classwork.

When entertaining youth softball offers that require huge dollar and time expenditures, keep in mind that a great academic resume that includes high test scores is usually worth more than just a high batting average. If you don't know how to prep your kid for an entrance exam, budget some money for that just as you would hitting lessons.

Lastly, think about the overall consequence and likely outcome of being a college softball player. Will she be able to study what she wants? If not, will that light(er)weight major I see lots of athletes opt for be useful to her when she's done? Even with the athletic scholarships that might happen, what's the opportunity cost, and how much debt (and possible injuries) will she carry at the back end to make this dream happen?
A lot of great information in this post! (y)

It cannot be stressed enough that, if you are doing this to "pay for college", then you don't have the right perspective on things. Focus on grades! There is more academic money out there than there is athletic money. Also having good grades makes you more appealing because the coach doesn't have to use as much athletic money to land that recruit. The majority of the athletic money goes to stud pitchers, so a large part of the team is getting scraps. Also, remember playing D1 softball is a full-time job, where the lower divisions allow more time to focus on studies. If you are already a "not so strong" student, then you may really struggle with the amount of commitment required to play softball at the D1 level.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

It cannot be stressed enough that, if you are doing this to "pay for college", then you don't have the right perspective on things. Focus on grades! There is more academic money out there than there is athletic money. Also having good grades makes you more appealing because the coach doesn't have to use as much athletic money to land that recruit. The majority of the athletic money goes to stud pitchers, so a large part of the team is getting scraps. Also, remember playing D1 softball is a full-time job, where the lower divisions allow more time to focus on studies. If you are already a "not so strong" student, then you may really struggle with the amount of commitment required to play softball at the D1 level.

In the case of the more selective / expensive school, getting merit aid is usually the difference between that school being viable choice or not. Lots of potentially good D1 softball fits fall off the table when the grades and test scores aren't there.

I know that what you say about the time commitment of D1 vs lower is supposed to be true, but given my observations of the past year, I'm not sure that it is.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I have watched quite a few of the pgf premier championhips. Some good softball being played for sure at the younger age groups. Also mistakes I see often at local tournaments.

RADcatcher.. you make a good point with folks making decisions without knowing what the choices look like...

We arent making any choices anytime soon. But it does make me ponder another question and it is probably a family decision and REAL evaluation of DD's commitment and ability. But, If and when the opportunity presents itself, what is the main end goal for these DD's and families.

You see alot of these interviews/ players thanking folks. Many times they thank family (mom and dad) for pushing them or not letting them quit and how it was not always easy............ Or something along those lines

With that, I dont buy into the thought that every P5 level player was "All About" softball all the time. So what kind of Motherly/Fatherly knudging happens throughout the journey to help keep focus on an end goal (not knowing what it is). Like I said I would love to see her become a gator one day (really any big softball school, as long as its SEC😂😂😂but we are Gator fans.),but at 10-12 I have know idea what my daughters life goals are at this point and I am not dumb enough to think she will follow my every guidance as she is entering an intresting part of her life (Soon).
I have caught enough of her pitches over the last few years to completly admit we dont alway see eye to eye!!!!!
Perhaps in a simple way.
*Recreational fun~
Can become a *Hobby~
Can turn into a *Quest~
And Each has its own purpose/goal!

Each can obsorb the same amount of time,
Its what you do during that time that defines the real purpose in the goal.

May 29, 2019
I know it sounds cliche, but they really have to be self-motivating. From there, it is the parent's job to be the support group (ie, get out the wallet :ROFLMAO: ) There really is a huge commitment involved to reach that level (playing in the SEC), after they make the decision that is what they want to do. Not necessarily at the younger ages, but when DDs are at the prime recruiting age, it is normal to have a personal hitting coach, position coach, strength and conditioning coach, and some even use mental coaches. Not everyone uses all of these resources, but I personally have seen enough girls use them all to say that it is definitely not out of the norm. Now factor in the practice you do on your own, then yes there is definitely a lot of hours a week dedicated to softball. Then there are the resources that you put together on your own. Did you see the piece on the World Series show about Kat Sandercock's pitching barn? I remember seeing something similar about Jolene and Danielle Henderson (UCLA a few years ago) having their own field at their house. Stuff like this is not uncommon, especially for a pitcher. Heck, when I built my new garage, I made design changes to get a hitting/pitching lane inside it. I know a few people that put pole barns up for the sole purpose of having a "facility" of their own to use.

Also, don't ever make it about what "Dad wants". My DDs high school teammate is an incoming freshman at a Power 5 school. Her dad is very ego-driven, fanatical about making her play for a P5. Any P5, it didn't matter as long as he could say his DD was a P5 athlete. He made softball the most important thing in her life, to the point where she missed out on fun things that a HS girl should be enjoying. She was on a special diet, training regiments, and would have to go back on the HS softball field when the team was done with practice and hit BP with dad until dark, every night. She openly stated to my DD many times that "I hate softball, and I hate my Dad!" She only ever played travel for a "National team" that her dad coached. It's sad. 😢 I guess the point of this last paragraph was to say that; No matter how well your intentions are, make sure you keep yourself grounded and let your DD blaze her own path.

Sorry about the long-winded reply.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Well.... I dont even know. I just have in mind, a team that is consistently playing high level competition and can go to some of these big national tournaments and compete.
A respectable team that is not focusing on dominating the local travel schedule scene

These are the kind of questions that are regional and depend greatly about definitions.

There are "super elite" travel teams which consistently, year-after-year, contain the best of the best. The Orange County Batbusters, Beverly Bandits and Southern California Athletics come to mind--these organizations have been around for decades, and have the best talent in the US. Their players are headed for the PAC 12, SEC, Big 12, and Big 10 conferences.

For the super elites, kids either (1) tryouts for one of their 12U or 14u teams, and stay with the organization or (2) they are recruited.

Other than the super-elite teams, the other teams have tryouts.

The next level are "elite" travel teams. They have very good talent, and, in some years, have a pitcher or two good enough compete with the Super Elite teams on the national level. They have tryouts.

Below that are a variety of "good" teams...teams that win a number of regional tournaments, but can't really compete at the top level.

Oct 4, 2018
Alot of good info. DD has played 10U for 3 yrs. She has alot of fun and I am always curious how these high level teams construct their teams and how they practice/ ???? to stay competitive.
Yall know..........us 10u parents are ready for our DD to start showcase tournaments TODAY!!!

We went from a B team to an A team this season. She's first year 12U.

Biggest difference was the talent of the girls on the team. Practices mostly the same.

Feb 1, 2021
1. How did you realize it was time to tryout for one?
2. How do attending practices work if your several hrs away from this team?
3. How old was your DD when you made this commitment?

1. We were forced to. We played on an amazing team of organically accumulated local kids. That team was a world beater. We beat the top orgs best teams dozens of times as a bunch of nobodies. A really great story of kids developing from 'decent' to 'studs' all at basically the same time. Long story short, when that team needed to dissolve due to the "can't play big tourneys without national recognition" BS, we didn't have any other options locally. We ended up joining a big org in 'the big city' 3 hours away. That team now has 3 players from my city.

Funny comparison though, the local team we left had 11 players. 2 didn't want to pursue sports in college. One is a D1 volleyball player, 4 went D1 for softball, another 4 went D2, and one (a true D1 level pitcher) went NAIA due to grades. If recruiting is a measure of success, our original team was about as successful as you can get. Don't underestimate a solid local team.

2. Our team practices once during the week and 1 on off weekends. 6 hours of driving on practice days sucks, but we let the other 2 girls carpool with us. It doesn't suck so bad for the girls or the other parents because of it. We do have our own practices locally as time allows. 1 practice a week isn't enough in my opinion.

3. We were second-year 14s when we moved to the team 3 hours away. Looking back on it though, I really wish the local team had just stuck it out. Pastures aren't always greener, but you can't tell an ambitious teenager anything.

Nov 18, 2013

Nailed it! Agree completely this can’t be stressed enough.

Pitchers don’t get as much as you might think. Every D1 and D2 team has 4-6 “Stud Pitchers”. There’s not enough scholarships available to hand out as much as parents claim the kids are getting.

May 16, 2016
At 12U, I would only consider a "National" team if I lived in a rural area, and really didn't have any other options more locally.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478