Playing for Large Orgs?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2021
Hi all new to the group. THinking about taking a step up next year and have DD play for a larger club, we are 12u moving to 14u. Thoughts on tryouts for IMG or Beverly B, etc. Do they even have tryouts? What are they like? We are located in central indiana.

Apr 20, 2015
IMG has an organizational tryout for its developmental teams 14u and below. National teams are invite only. The Beverly bandits only hosts tryouts for 10u. All other teams are invite only. Scott Bay is the director of IMG developmental and Bill Conroy does all of the Bandits. IMG has teams at all levels of competition, the Bandits only play high level softball.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Beverly Bandits don't have tryouts. If you think your DD has what it takes you could talk to B. Conroy and he might invite your daughter to a practice or he can watch her at a tournament. If she does well he could have her sub. He's easy to talk to if you love softball and sports trivia. He's always scouting talent.

You are at the right time to move IMO. DD made a move to a college oriented program at 11U but only because we liked the timing but she would have ultimately moved at 12U anyway. She moved again, to a franchised "name brand" college recruitment type organization, 3 years later. So far the recruitment portion has been a night & day difference within the franchised organization. Additionally, we have been very happy with the coaches/coaching style and the communication. (Aspects that are important to us the previous organization was lacking). The help and guidance we have received regarding recruitment has been impressive.

Best of luck to your DD and whatever you decide.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2015
Hi all new to the group. THinking about taking a step up next year and have DD play for a larger club, we are 12u moving to 14u. Thoughts on tryouts for IMG or Beverly B, etc. Do they even have tryouts? What are they like? We are located in central indiana.

Having seen several Bev Bandits teams over the years, I'll share some free advice. Unless your DD is playing the highest level she can already and is CLEARLY the best player on the field, it's highly unlikely she's good enough to play that level. And the Bev Bandits fees reflect this upper echelon. As do the other 'fly in from all over the country' level teams.

That being said there are many other high level teams / orgs around that play high level, sending many girls off to D1 schools all over the country. I know that Indy shockwave, Ohio Hawks, Ohio Lasers, Ohio Outlaws, Indy Magic Gold, etc. are all close to Indiana and all have very strong teams.

Apr 9, 2020
I think the most important thing at this early time in the game is to be on a team or in a program that she will play and more importantly get the instruction and development needed to move to the elite level . Like others have mentioned if at any age she is truly gifted and talented it seems all these upper echelon teams will find room for her at anytime .. let her play where you all are comfortable both physically and financially her talent dedication and play will most likely dictate where she goes ! Best of luck and only real solid advice I will give is enjoy every minute on and off the field as it goes by super fast ! Stay well

Apr 20, 2015
Having seen several Bev Bandits teams over the years, I'll share some free advice. Unless your DD is playing the highest level she can already and is CLEARLY the best player on the field, it's highly unlikely she's good enough to play that level. And the Bev Bandits fees reflect this upper echelon. As do the other 'fly in from all over the country' level teams.

That being said there are many other high level teams / orgs around that play high level, sending many girls off to D1 schools all over the country. I know that Indy shockwave, Ohio Hawks, Ohio Lasers, Ohio Outlaws, Indy Magic Gold, etc. are all close to Indiana and all have very strong teams.
I would agree with this 100% and it becomes especially evident at 14s and above. Not that those girls never lose a game or make a bad play but when you watch them they are just collectively at a different level. I have dds is both the Beverly bandits and Indiana magic gold and am very familiar with teams in Central Indiana so feel free to send me a PM and I can try to help.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana
My DD plays for IMG (12U). It's our second year with the org and she and us love it. Came from a smaller org/team for the same reason, to be pushed to play and compete at the highest level. There are tryouts for 13U and down, but a lot comes from coaches searching out players and players searching out coaches well before tryouts as well. I would suggest seeing what teams are in your age group and reaching out to those coaches now about coming to a practice/subbing.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas

This is good advice.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
All of the advice seems spot on. In the grand scheme, it's often hard to make the teams but the real work will start after she makes it. Unless your DD is the kind of athlete that will walk into the starting position, you'll be slotted in behind 1-2 other players. The process of moving up the order can be slow and can be taxing.

The most important thing I can recommend is trying to find out with your own eyes how much the team rotates their players in friendlies and even small tournaments. There are a lot of teams that will roll with their 9-11 in everything. That will make it more difficult.

My DD plays on a team in 14u with 21 and the coach is very good about giving everyone opportunities over the course of a weekend. It will be less playing time than the starters, but it will be enough to prove yourself and build up the trust in your DD. Watch the teams that you'd like to reach out to. Obviously look at the athlete that is playing your DD's position too.

Good luck!

Mar 26, 2016
Keep in mind when playing for those "large orgs" playing time is not guaranteed.

As for the fees comment above most of the fees for these "National" teams run around the same rate.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog