Player/Parent Contracts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 3, 2021
I've been looking for some sample player/parent contracts and I couldn't easily find much out there. Does anyone have one they'd be willing to share to help get me started?

For context, this is 1st Year - 12U Select. The most important part, for me anyway, is discussing acceptable behavior and effort requirements and then the consequences associated with not meeting those expectations. I'm not concerned about my kids guest playing (if they want to play more - I'll never stop them) and at this age I know a good amount of what they bring on the field starts with what's going on at home and they're certainly not driving themselves to and from games/practices. Just looking to set clear expectations from day 1 this upcoming season. #LessonLearned

Jun 27, 2021
https://mikematheny.com/sites/default/files/pdf/MathenyManifesto.pdf

I handed this out at each tryout to all families when I coached baseball. That served as my contract in regards to how the team was going to be ran. No matter if the kid made or didn't make the team but felt it made a difference in how our team was going to be. I also never allowed for my kids to not play pickup with other teams on our off weekends. There is no right or wrong answer as long as it is upfront it was the road I chose to go down as players needed a break from the game during a long summer season. Parents need time away from the field, no matter how much they claimed their child wanted to play. I also didn't pick kids up because that would be hypocritical of me a coach.

Followed this with my own daughter, on her off weekends she didn't play pickup. She needed down time to be a kid, be away from the game and enjoy weekends off.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021
https://mikematheny.com/sites/default/files/pdf/MathenyManifesto.pdf

I handed this out at each tryout to all families when I coached baseball. That served as my contract in regards to how the team was going to be ran. No matter if the kid made or didn't make the team but felt it made a difference in how our team was going to be. I also never allowed for my kids to not play pickup with other teams on our off weekends. There is no right or wrong answer as long as it is upfront it was the road I chose to go down as players needed a break from the game during a long summer season. Parents need time away from the field, no matter how much they claimed their child wanted to play. I also didn't pick kids up because that would be hypocritical of me a coach.

Followed this with my own daughter, on her off weekends she didn't play pickup. She needed down time to be a kid, be away from the game and enjoy weekends off.

Thanks for that link! I've read the book but had no idea that was published and available by itself.

I definitely agree with the girls needing time off. I just don't feel like I'm the one to dictate that for every player and family. I've got at least one kid where softball is an escape from a less than ideal home life. I wouldn't ever want to tell her she can't play. I completely understand though and maybe I'll change my ways eventually as I'm still new at this whole thing...always learning and adapting.

Jun 27, 2021
Thanks for that link! I've read the book but had no idea that was published and available by itself.

I definitely agree with the girls needing time off. I just don't feel like I'm the one to dictate that for every player and family. I've got at least one kid where softball is an escape from a less than ideal home life. I wouldn't ever want to tell her she can't play. I completely understand though and maybe I'll change my ways eventually as I'm still new at this whole thing...always learning and adapting.
Everyone has a different view. I coached baseball and never wanted my kids to be overpitched for someone else (better rules in place now to limit). I learned to build equity with parents that they enjoyed time away to do other things or nothing at all. But again, everyone is different and have to find their own path.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802