Pitching - Where to start?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
At least Bullseye has the hands-on experience following his daughter's growth to her success 🤷‍♀️
Actually Bullseye doesn't know whether doing wrist snaps helped his daughter or not, he just knows that it didn't hurt her.

As a pitching instructor I have a lot of experience working with pitchers who's development has been halted because they were taught to snap their wrist at release (by doing wrist snap drills).

And I think the bottom line is whether anyone can come up with a good reason to teach wrist snaps.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Not to be in a contradictive argument but to acknowledge that there is no proof either way,
who it has helped and who it has hindered...
Cannot say someone shouldn't do this drill.
Just because one thing doesn't work for one instructor doesn't mean it can't work for another. Not all pitchers are utilizing drills with the same mechanical stance or arm movement. Nor do they have the same body to work with.
And I think the bottom line is whether anyone can come up with a good reason to teach wrist snaps.
Have said this before.
Doing drills that break down a particular part of mechanics can help teach an individual to identify body movement.
This same discussion could easily be about hitting mechanics. Or catching mechanics, or??

Good, bad or ugly there is more than one way to find success.
Thankfully! because~
There is more than one type of human being!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Have said this before.
Doing drills that break down a particular part of mechanics can help teach an individual to identify body movement.
I know little about pitching mechanics but I think the point is that there is no active wrist snap in a proper pitching mechanic. @Hillhouse and others made this point in another thread which was discussing the topic.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I know little about pitching mechanics but I think the point is that there is no active wrist snap in a proper pitching mechanic. @Hillhouse and others made this point in another thread which was discussing the topic.
To that comment you added does that mean someone shouldn't learn how their arm works?
I think there's a benefit to learning how our body works. Good drill or bad, learning is always good!

If it wasn't for the wrist the hand would do nothing. The components of the wrist attach the forearm to the hand.

Jun 8, 2016
To that comment you added does that mean someone shouldn't learn how their arm works?
I think there's a benefit to learning how our body works. Good drill or bad, learning is always good!

If it wasn't for the wrist the hand would do nothing. The components of the wrist attach the forearm to the hand.
I think everybody knows how their wrist works..most have been using it their whole life.

The point is you are not supposed to do anything actively with the wrist when you pitch..it gets actuated passively...just like when you throw overhand..

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I think everybody knows how their wrist works..most have been using it their whole life.

The point is you are not supposed to do anything actively with the wrist when you pitch..

it gets actuated passively...
YES it gets used! whether it's passively or purposely it needs to be involved!

Just like when you throw overhand..
I teach a snaps drill for overhand and it helps! We purposely learn how to correctly include wrist because some people are rigid with it and others are over exaggerating it. In both occurrences we learn to use it effectively and accurately.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016

I teach a snaps drill for overhand and it helps! We purposely learn to include it because some people are rigid with it and others are over exaggerating it. In both occurrences we learn to use it effectively and accurately.
Ok. I don’t care enough to belabor the point.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.

I teach a snaps drill for overhand and it helps! We purposely learn how to correctly include wrist because some people are rigid with it and others are over exaggerating it. In both occurrences we learn to use it effectively and accurately.
Do you think an overhand throwing drill where you instructed your new players to lock their wrist and 'push' the ball would be a good idea? Surely such a drill would benefit someone, there many different ways to throw the ball.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I like a loose wrist and fingers tips feeling the ball ZIP (spin) Overhand and underhand. Put some ZIP on it. I would estimate over half the players I see have questionable throwing motions. I see CB and screwballs coming in from the outfield. A little screwball tail is ok but the CB throws???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802