Pitching speed vs age

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2015
Somehow Greg Maddox managed to pitch very successfully throwing in the mid 80's

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Sure, and Kershaw is often in the high 80s these days. Like Tony Kemp and Jose Altuve, they are outliers. There’s always a few.

But for 99.9% of pitchers, including prospects, 90mph is a bright line.

Sep 19, 2018
This is the funniest thing I've read all day

This happens only after they throw 93+

Sure, and Kershaw is often in the high 80s these days. Like Tony Kemp and Jose Altuve, they are outliers. There’s always a few.

I am glad I can give you a laugh. If you read what I wrote to say that MLB is now looking for guys throwing 77mph fastballs, then I don't know what to say.
For the past 100+ years when projecting prospects MLB teams have been putting a huge emphasis on frame and size and how much they are going to grow into their body and hence how much the prospects fastball is going to increase. Is it through analytics, modern training, or the change in how bullpens are used? Maybe they all play a part, I don't know. But they know now, that it is ...more reliable.... that they will be able to train into more velocity, than it is for pitchers to grow into command.

Sep 3, 2015
I have personally clocked the dukes pitcher at 70-71 and then also 64-66 depending on who she is playing and if she just throws straight gas because the team is lower caliber or she has to work and throw her movement pitches. So it seemed accurate for her given the competition I would assume she was throwing movement.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DDs team played that Dukes team twice and we saw both pitchers, no way it was over 65

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2015
We have also played her twice...2 very different speeds in the 2 games. Visibly different and different on the radar. The one game was a championship so I'm sure she was really juiced and it was the only game that day so also fresh

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jul 27, 2015
We were at TCS East Coast Summer Nationals last week. I don't pull the radar gun out much anymore, but I had it out for our last 4 games. It was my daughter's last tournament.

All 4 teams had at least one pitcher who threw 60 mph. But that is where the similarities ended.

D1 commit to a non P5. She was throwing some 64 mph. Saw her hit 67 mph one time in a pitch in the dirt (fastest I have ever clocked anyone). She walked 7 people in the game the day before. She only walked 2 in 3 innings against us. She was close to 6 feet tall. No doubt the potential is there, but I was not impressed.

D1 commit to a non P5 school who subbed for us. She could not hit her spots. She was high 50s to 60. Literally the catchers would set up outside and the pitch would be inside. Just crazy stuff. Again, not impressed.

2022. She was hitting high 50s with an occasional 60. She could not have weighed more than 120 pounds at around 5'5" tall. And she was the most impressive pitcher of the bunch. Outstanding control with good movement. Unlike all the other girls who were generally tall girls, I just don't see this girl getting much bigger or getting a whole lot faster. But she was the best pitcher. Don't know how things will turn out for her, but I wish her well. I liked how she handled herself.

Most peculiar one. D2 commit. I clocked her at 64 in her 5 warm up pitches. Then when batters stepped up, it was 57 or so. Again, not much movement and definitely no corners.

My daughter hit 61 and did well (D2 commit). Our other pitcher was 58 to 59 and mixed it up well.

My general belief, which is not founded on anything more than conjecture: on average, if a girl is throwing 60s in 9th grade, she will get a D1 offer. She may never become a good pitcher with that much speed so early, but she sure does look good. If a girl does not get speed until later, then she has a better chance to be a good pitcher because she had to work more at a younger age to be successful, but she may not get as many D1 looks (my daughter falls into this second category) Who knows with the new recruiting rules if things will change now. I think the new rules will help out with that - and the 2022s will be the first real class to benefit from that.

Jun 8, 2016
My general belief, which is not founded on anything more than conjecture: on average, if a girl is throwing 60s in 9th grade, she will get a D1 offer. She may never become a good pitcher with that much speed so early, but she sure does look good. If a girl does not get speed until later, then she has a better chance to be a good pitcher because she had to work more at a younger age to be successful, but she may not get as many D1 looks (my daughter falls into this second category) Who knows with the new recruiting rules if things will change now. I think the new rules will help out with that - and the 2022s will be the first real class to benefit from that.
What if a girl throws in the 60's in the 9th grade and doesn't have dumb parents and coaches and is a hard worker? I am sure one or two of those kids exist in the country..

This prevailing theme on the board that if you are good at a young age you are screwed is silly..I guess I better stop working with my 6YO DS and 11 YO DD...better not get too good :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2015
What if a girl throws in the 60's in the 9th grade and doesn't have dumb parents and coaches and is a hard worker? I am sure one or two of those kids exist in the country..

This prevailing theme on the board that if you are good at a young age you are screwed is silly..I guess I better stop working with my 6YO DS and 11 YO DD...better not get too good :rolleyes:
I used the words "on average" and "may never". I clearly did not say "will never be a good pitcher" or "in every instance".

In addition, I am guessing those girls who throw 60 mph in 9th grade that just kept getting better and better were at the Alliance or PGF last weekend while we were in Myrtle Beach.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
I used the words "on average" and "may never". I clearly did not say "will never be a good pitcher" or "in every instance".

In addition, I am guessing those girls who throw 60 mph in 9th grade that just kept getting better and better were at the Alliance or PGF last weekend while we were in Myrtle Beach.
Right but I don’t think it is true “on average” either but to each their own 😉

Oct 26, 2019

I totally agree with you on this statement except 95 is the new 90.

average MLB fastball last year was 94.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28