Pitching speed vs age

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
I have personally clocked the dukes pitcher at 70-71 and then also 64-66 depending on who she is playing and if she just throws straight gas because the team is lower caliber or she has to work and throw her movement pitches. So it seemed accurate for her given the competition I would assume she was throwing movement.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sep 19, 2018
If anyone tells you that speed doesn't matter, run. Only your current coach cares about you hitting spots. Your future coach cares about speed.
MLB is moving towards projecting young pitchers by command, feel and the quality of breaking ball. Due to modern training techniques, teams feel like they can add velocity once on board. But adding command is much harder. I wonder if the new training techniques to add velocity will be applicable to fast pitch. And if so, will college programs start to adjust how they project pitchers. Probably not as MLB is looking at longer term goals than 2-4 years. Something I find interest if not applicable.

Apr 17, 2019
That's not how it works.

Radar guns today are extremely accurate. In days of old they reported average speeds, speed at the glove, etc. Today they report accurately the speed just out of the hand.

If anyone tells you that speed doesn't matter, run. Only your current coach cares about you hitting spots. Your future coach cares about speed.

I’m not talking about average speed, I’ve used $1000 radar guns where it reads differently based on the angle you shoot the pitch from, if it is coming straight at you it reads right, if your at say a 30* angle to the pitch it’s say
+3 mph. It’s in the manual for it.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
"The greater the angle the greater the speed error and the lower the measured speed. A cosine angle of 90° has 100% error, speed measures zero. The cosine effect angle is the angle between the radar antenna and the vehicle direction of travel. ... The closer the angle is to 0° the more accurate the speed measured"

I know a little about radar.

Apr 17, 2019
"The greater the angle the greater the speed error and the lower the measured speed. A cosine angle of 90° has 100% error, speed measures zero. The cosine effect angle is the angle between the radar antenna and the vehicle direction of travel. ... The closer the angle is to 0° the more accurate the speed measured"

I know a little about radar.

Ya that’s what I was talking about, though I was thinking it would read a higher speed for some reason.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802