Pitching Pain in foot up to knee

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2021
Hi. My daughter is 18 and last year she started having knee pain. We saw an ortho and did pt. It got better but she also wasn’t pitching much. She started back with her team and the pain in her knee is bad. Keeps her up at night. She said it starts in the top of her foot and goes up to her knee just under the knee cap and above it. She can’t get into the ortho for a week. Just looking to see if anyone has experienced this.

Jul 5, 2016
What was the ortho's initial assessment that led to the conclusion that PT would help? Did the ortho take x-rays?

Jun 20, 2021
What was the ortho's initial assessment that led to the conclusion that PT would help? Did the ortho take x-rays?
He did not take any X-rays. He really didn’t say what the problem was just kind of blew it off and sent her for pt
Which leg? Stride leg? How much is she pitching/practicing in a week?
yes it is her stride leg. She only pitched 7 innings last week and was in so much pain. The pain comes after especially ar night it wakes her up

Jul 5, 2016
I am very sensitive about knee issues as they cost my daughter a couple of good softball years and we never really had a chance to see how good a player she would have become by 12th grade because she missed 10th grade completely. That being said, find an ortho who takes this seriously. Do you live in an area where you have easy access to sport medicine ortho. I know that if you live in some areas, getting to a good ortho is a bit of pain. Anyway, if the ortho isn't ordering x-rays, find another one.

Apr 9, 2020
if the pain starts in the foot check the foot as well, if it is after using the leg it gets worse usually it is soft tissue in nature and X-ray only shows bone, stress reaction will not show up on initial plain film xrays. would insist on both a knee MRI as well as foot/ankle MRI as well ( you. can't cover the whole extremity in one study).. stress reaction will show marrow edema on the mri before you would notice any boney changes on plain film.. wish her luck and speedy recovery from any diagnosis ..if it is coming from foot or the initial striking and planting what foot then may benefit from custom fabricated orthotics to help support foot and ankle as she plants an pitches as im a believer in chain reaction if the foot starts properly then ankle knee hip will hopefully follow suit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45