Pitching Mechanics Conflict at Tryout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2017
If it is salvageable I would proceed with caution. And have a very serious and direct talk with the coaches. I have seen coaches that stay in their lane and try to find useful ways to help make small suggestions to help if struggling. I have also seen coaches not use the player or put them in bad situations to try and prove they were right. If the coaches give you any vibe that they feel it’s my way or the Highway then exit stage left quickly. It will not be a good situation. If they will be happy with the smile and nod technique then the pitcher just has to produce. Some things that could be a problem in this situation are drills and other work at practice. Some drills used in both hitting and pitching can teach bad habits if there are different philosophy then the coaches. I believe in trying to fit in and do what the coaches want at practice but if there is something obvious causing a problem or bad habits then the coach needs to be approachable and willing to work with you to change the drill for your DD or have alternate drills.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
They did you a favor. It's not your DD's (or your) job to correct these folks. Move on, they won't change and the fact that they both (a head coach and a pitching coach) see it that way is a sign that they've taken comfort in their own little world. To make an offer and then immediately discuss what they view as bad mechanics or, in other words, we love you know change is crazy. To assume that it won't be an issue down the road is probably also crazy.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Tryouts are for both~
Players
&
The coaching staff

There are some good things here.
The coaches were comminicating immediatly.
The see paying attention to details important.
They shared their 'hand' at what they prefer to see.
Which helped make a decision for you as a player on the direction they as coaches would like to go.

Best thing posibly
No suprise later after already joining.

*JUST IMAGINE
Every mechanics detail in the OP post could have been flip flopped the opposite way!

Oct 4, 2018
Depends, a lot of teams assume you have your own hitting and pitching coaches. So they don't usually try to tell you what to do as you refer back to your own personal coach. If they say 'my way of the highway' then sure, not a fit.

Yup.

I think the OP needs to say "If she's effective pitching her way, will you not discuss pitching mechanics with her?" If they're cool trusting your instructor and going with the results, you could easily have a good year on this team.

If they're going to spend the year trying to "correct" her, don't join this team.

Apr 12, 2019
I appreciate all the feedback being offered and really supports our decision to agree to disagree then walk away. I gave up trying to change someone’s mind a long time ago.

Aug 21, 2008
These guys did you a favor. The worse case scenario is you join the team THEN they throw this at you, forcing you to change your pitching to comply with their coach and his/her system. Be leery if the call you guys back, they may tell you what you wanna hear then force this down your throat afterwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12