Pitching/Infield Glove - 13year+

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 5, 2019
So she has never tried a baseball glove, she has a 12 inch now and doesn't want to go larger for pitching/3rd base. Would you suggest going larger with a baseball glove vs softball?
I would not mess with a baseball glove, typically the pocket is not deep enough. Remember a 11.5 baseball and softball glove is not necessarily the same size, that measurement does not include the pocket depth. I will give a however though, I was speaking to a Short Stop at a college camp once who said she used a 11.25 baseball glove, looked like a t-ball glove. She said she preferred a smaller glove because it helped her with fast transitions, those college girls are running 2.7-3.0 to first so you have to be quick! Its really all feel and preference as far as size, we have just had good success with the two gloves I mentioned...

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
So she has never tried a baseball glove, she has a 12 inch now and doesn't want to go larger for pitching/3rd base. Would you suggest going larger with a baseball glove vs softball?
No not really, my DD used a 12" Rawlings Pro206 and a 12" Pro1000 baseball glove at pitching / SS from age 15 on to college. Both of those actually measure a 1/4" shorter at 11.75" which Rawlings is notorious for!

But for both pitching and 3B, I do believe I'd go for a 12.25" glove. For pitching it's obviously a better size, and for playing 3B, I want a slightly larger glove than for middle infield. Now if she was playing SS, I'd say a 12" glove.

3B is such a reaction / instinct position, a little longer, wider, and deeper glove is a good thing! And we are talking about a 12" softball inside of a 12.25" baseball glove, the ball isn't going to get lost inside there!

May 5, 2019
I'll have to disagree with you here!
Also just relaying info from major glove manufacturers!

Gloves are similar looking with color, lacing, and leather, but one of the main differences between baseball and softball gloves is the design. The ball, for both sports, plays a huge role. A regulation baseball is only 9” and a regulation softball is about 12”. So, baseball gloves are made with a smaller and longer pocket since the ball is smaller, whereas the pocket of a softball glove is deeper and shorter since the ball is larger. For example, if you had a 12-inch baseball and softball glove side-by-side the baseball glove would be taller because the softball pocket is much deeper which makes the glove wider that is it tall.

Another thing to note in the design is the web of these gloves. Baseball gloves tend to be more versatile with its webs since the pocket isn’t as deep, unlike the softball gloves. Pitchers for both sports need a closed web to hide the ball but the web in a softball glove will tend to run deeper in the pocket than a baseball glove.

Jan 28, 2020
Unfortunately you may be looking at 2 gloves based on which infield position she plays. We use an A2000 11.75 for when she plays short stop, and a Rawlings Liberty Advance 12.5 when she is pitching (hides the ball from nosey 3rd base coaches) and uses that for center field as well. There really is no one true glove that will cover every position in my opinion. Also the a2000 might be a little higher quality and a longer lasting glove, but the Liberty Advance is a high quality grab and go glove that needs little to no break in at all.
Yes we have looked at the Liberty Advance, wish they had more color options....she really once the natural leather look. Plus she is convinced 12.5 is too large for pitching :cautious:

May 5, 2019
Yes we have looked at the Liberty Advance, wish they had more color options....she really once the natural leather look. Plus she is convinced 12.5 is too large for pitching :cautious:
They sell a 12" model on their site as well, but yea they really like the off white leather!

Jun 19, 2016
Do glove sizes really mean much? It seems they are different from brand to brand.

As far as webs I shave always heard basket or modified trap to hide the grip....but I have a hard time seeing a third base coach seeing through an H web. I think most pitchers get caught when the grip the ball out of the glove.

I just think pitchers are perhaps a different breed. I am speeding of pitchers that are primarily pitchers when in the field. They have to catch the ball more than anyone with the exception of the catcher. Most of time it is a leisurely throw. They rarely have to field a hard hit ball. When they do it is usually an adrenaline filled reaction they don't notice any sting. This is why I think pitchers prefer a little softer glove.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598