Pitching in the Dirt Pitch Strategy~ USE IT! or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When calling pitches
Like purposely using the dirt as a pitching location. Yes purposely pitching to the dirt.
Can be done with drops, change ups, even drop/curves effectively.

Share this topic for discussion.
comments and feedback about
Pitchers Dirt Pitch Strategy
To use it! or not?
Do you use it?
Never considered it?
Heck no never.
Yes its helpful!
GO DFP

Screenshot_20220105-053110_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD started trying to throw strikes in 8U she threw 3 strikes in an inning. I was so proud of her.

End of her pitching she threw as few strikes as possible.

Some catchers she had dirt was off the table, not sure that point is important. Throw as few strikes as possible.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
DD started trying to throw strikes in 8U she threw 3 strikes in an inning. I was so proud of her.

End of her pitching she threw as few strikes as possible.

Some catchers she had dirt was off the table, not sure that point is important. Throw as few strikes as possible.
😁 cannot pass this up.
Like it so much I want to repeat it...

"Throw as few strikes as possible."

Go Strategy!

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you have a dropball pitcher that has a dropball that truly falls off the table and has absolute faith in their catcher stopping the ball when it's in the dirt, you have the most effective battery you can find. Definitely pitching in the dirt is an effective strategy for a true dropball pitcher. It's also an effective strategy for a pitcher with great movement. The batter will often times swing because they've already seen big movement that's been called for a strike beforehand and is unsure of what would be the call for anything close.

Jun 11, 2013
You need to be able to do it an count on your C to at least block it preventing a run from 3rd. With other runners on even a block that's not fielded clean often leads to a runner moving up a base.

Oct 16, 2020
My DD has been working on it. She’ll pitch it in the dirt a few times a game depending on where the batter stands in the box. It’s effective, but as others stated, you must have faith in your catcher if there’s a runner on 3rd.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I don't have great catchers, so it's tough to call it in two strike counts, but absolutely.

Last summer my pitcher, who does not throw hard, had a girl way out in front. Good hitter, used to faster pitching (you can spot those a mile away). So I call the two strike pitch in the dirt. She throws a 38-footer. The girl was so out in front she took off running while she was swinging and missing.

And the ball hit the lip of the plate (park district field, plate was a portable one and not flush with the ground) and bounced over the head of my catcher, who was down in a blocking position.

She threw the pitch I wanted. The catcher did her job. It just didn't work out, but it was beautiful watching her work this hitter. And we won the game easily so it didn't much matter that she got on base there.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
My DD has been working on it. She’ll pitch it in the dirt a few times a game depending on where the batter stands in the box. It’s effective, but as others stated, you must have faith in your catcher if there’s a runner on 3rd.
Thats a fun ring on your profile!! 👍🥳
Screenshot_20220110-074402_Chrome.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478