Pitching gurus, Need advice with pitching style...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
The last sentence/paragraph is particularly interesting, are you implying that not everyone dispensing advice here is an "expert"? Not looking to argue, just clarifying.

No, everyone on this forum is not an "expert". I would include myself in that category, and I will continue to dish out the advice...

And for the record, I don't make money from softball instruction... I spend money on softball instruction.

Aug 21, 2008
IDK. It's just a drill... I've seen countless "Drills" instructors have kids doing that don't make a bit of sense to me... My point is, if the instructor is getting results, don't walk away just because you read on the internet the drill they are using is "wrong".
where... if you were a former pitcher, and you knew that drill to be wrong, would you walk away? Even if said instructor was "getting results. I'll say this again and I don't mean to imply this is you. But I think one of the biggest problems in pitching is the confusion between good pitching and bad hitting.

Oklahoma pitcher Jordy Bahl is a college phenom, despite her injury (which is now healed as of this summer everyone!!). But she could've won MVP by pitching left handed to the schools in Omaha Nebraska!!! I think she lost 1 game in 4 years? Anyway, that difference of good hitting and bad pitching cannot be overlooked when judging ANY pitching coach.

Sounds obvious but lets factor in TEENAGE GIRLS. Most teens I know listen to ANYONE except mom/dad. From experience, and I'm sure I'm not alone: when I teach a girl, I'm also trying to teach mom/dad so they can know what to look for, what to say, and how to help fix any problem. However, teens listen to anyone except mom/dad even if the coach says the exact same thing. (this is one of those joys that all of you with a 9 year old pitcher are going to experience!!). Of course, being the one they listen to.... I don't mind it as much. lol. No, actually I reinforce to the girls they'd better heed the words of mom/dad... everyone's goal is the same here, we all want her to be the best pitcher she can be.

Aug 21, 2008
No, everyone on this forum is not an "expert". I would include myself in that category, and I will continue to dish out the advice...

And for the record, I don't make money from softball instruction... I spend money on softball instruction.
You're right, I mis worded my reply. I realized you were saying that not everyone is an expert, despite what they may believe about themselves, or me. ha ha ha... I couldn't resist, that was wide open. Pattar will understand. I apologize for miswording my reply.

Jan 25, 2022
Sounds obvious but lets factor in TEENAGE GIRLS. Most teens I know listen to ANYONE except mom/dad. From experience, and I'm sure I'm not alone: when I teach a girl, I'm also trying to teach mom/dad so they can know what to look for, what to say, and how to help fix any problem. However, teens listen to anyone except mom/dad even if the coach says the exact same thing. (this is one of those joys that all of you with a 9 year old pitcher are going to experience!!). Of course, being the one they listen to.... I don't mind it as much. lol. No, actually I reinforce to the girls they'd better heed the words of mom/dad... everyone's goal is the same here, we all want her to be the best pitcher she can be.

I'm fortunate in that BOTH of my girls listen to me. It's a crazy thing. My pitcher more so than my middle infielder, but still hardly ever do we get into it about softball. I study pitching constantly though. I think she trusts that I'm doing my absolute best to give her accurate info. I was my pitcher's archery coach as well, and I have no idea why she listened to me then because I don't know jack about instructing archery beyond my basic NASP course. I'm not even that great of a shot myself.

Aug 21, 2008
I'm fortunate in that BOTH of my girls listen to me. It's a crazy thing. My pitcher more so than my middle infielder, but still hardly ever do we get into it about softball. I study pitching constantly though. I think she trusts that I'm doing my absolute best to give her accurate info. I was my pitcher's archery coach as well, and I have no idea why she listened to me then because I don't know jack about instructing archery beyond my basic NASP course. I'm not even that great of a shot myself.
definitely in the minority, but maybe you should give a Ted Talk on how to get kids to listen!!!

Jun 8, 2016

The only explanation for this is that they plan on killing you in the near future..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28