Pitching gurus, Need advice with pitching style...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
So, the pitcher they are using in their Wrist Snap video clearly has Internal Rotation
So why is the instructor teaching wrist snaps when the student isn't snapping her wrist when she pitches? She should be teaching internal rotation. Why would you teach one way and allow your student to pitch a different way? It seems to me that the student isn't doing it the way the instructor teaches and the instructor doesn't know the difference.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Following interesting discussion going on.

@tomorrow can you please explain a little more your comment about strikes and speed awful metric for judging pitching instructor. Just interested in the detail.🙂 just following convo. 🙂

How about is the pitching motion Safe, is it legal, are you getting the most out of the pitcher's potential? that should be the starting point for finding a pitching instructor.

Aug 21, 2008
Kind of looks like he was dissing you..😂

I wonder if he will have somebody challenge him to a fight in a local park like what happened to me on here when somebody else thought I was doing that to you..He is not as charming as me so probably not.
that's ok, I'm used to being dissed. lol. Diss away. But, I've never called myself an "expert", have I? I'd say there's things I'm an expert at but, when it comes to pitching there's certainly plenty of people who know more than me.

And absolutely!! I'll fight anyone anytime!! I mean, we are talking about girls fastpitch softball here!! Is there anything else on Earth more worthy of fighting a human being over?? This is serious business, and it makes complete sense to wanna hurt another person over differences. (sarcasm, lest anyone think I'm being serious).

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
can you please explain a little more your comment about strikes and speed awful metric for judging pitching instructor. Just interested in the detail.🙂 just following convo. 🙂
@RADcatcher ... you probably already know this.

In most athletic training, an athlete will need to learn a new approach, and then will regress until she perfects the new skill.

In pitching, it happens all the time...there are so many things a pitcher needs to work on.

E.g., learning a breaking pitch...part of mastering a breaking pitch is learning how to NOT throw a breaking pitch...that is, going back and forth between pitches. Kids have to learn to go from FB to CU to RB to DB, etc. So, there will be a period of regression as she develops the skill.

Going from HE to IR will cause a kid to regress.

At some point, speed and strikes become a good metric.

Jan 25, 2022
@RADcatcher ... you probably already know this.

In most athletic training, an athlete will need to learn a new approach, and then will regress until she perfects the new skill.

In pitching, it happens all the time...there are so many things a pitcher needs to work on.

E.g., learning a breaking pitch...part of mastering a breaking pitch is learning how to NOT throw a breaking pitch...that is, going back and forth between pitches. Kids have to learn to go from FB to CU to RB to DB, etc. So, there will be a period of regression as she develops the skill.

Going from HE to IR will cause a kid to regress.

At some point, speed and strikes become a good metric.

When I switched my kid from step to a drive, stopped her private lessons (and took over) and started introducing whip, I warned her it would be a mess. She was like "ok, whatevs." Had no idea what she was in for.

The ball hit the ceiling, the dirt, my shins, her leg, sometimes 10ft to the side of me. It was brutal, and she was so frustrated I could see the tears building up every other session. I just kept telling her to trust the process and it paid off. She's gained a solid 5mph, accuracy is coming back quickly, and her posture is a whole different world. I knew we needed to go back to square one and shore a few things up if she was ever gonna progress beyond where she was. Now that the suffering is paying off, her attitude toward practice is the best it's ever been. I can tell she's genuinely excited to go throw.

Jan 25, 2022
OP, it's not too bad in my opinion. I think it's pretty safe to say that she's internally rotating, but I don't think anyone can see how much actual whip she's getting.

I would work on whip and hips from the K, then work on drive/launch separately as opposed to just removing drive completely until whip is established.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
You misunderstood. HE was going be challenged to a fight (by one of your fanboys) because he was going to chase you out of here by being mean to you 😂
No, I understood you. I was just stating that I'll throwdown with anyone anytime too over softball, it's absolutely worth fighting over!! Nevermind political disagreements, abortion disagreements, religious disagreements... I'll fight him or you over softball. lol. lol. (Yes everyone I'm kidding). That said, shame on you for being mean to me!!! Shame shame shame. Why be mean to me? I'm a nice guy. I don't punch puppies or anything. It's nice to know I have a legion of fans, do you think they'd send me some cash?? My son's swimming is costing me a ton, he just finished a team camp in Barcelona, then he's coming here for Xmas (first time in about 5 years) then has to do another camp in South Africa in Feb.. sigh, maybe I should have a Patreon or a membership fee to a fanclub??? I'm sure I'd be overwhelmed with sign ups.

Jun 8, 2016
That said, shame on you for being mean to me!!! Shame shame shame. Why be mean to me?
I am mean to everybody on here..actually other than my Mom, who passed away a few years ago, I am mean to everybody in general. Plus didn’t you coach at Brown? My HS GF dumped me a month into her stay at Brown so there is that too..😂

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee