Pitching from wrong distance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
This happened at my son's coach pitch game. Pitching rubber was further than usual..everybody was way out in front of the ball. I told my wife something ain't right :LOL:

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
It was a mistake..sh*% happens 🤷‍♂️. I am surprised neither of the team's pitchers or catchers noticed it right away. Who ultimately questioned the distance?
Not even sure - I'd have to look back at the video to see - I was out of town so I was just able to watch bits and pieces of the games. Hubby was there and had texted me and told me it was too close. Then I saw in the video that they were working on the plate.

Just went back to look - It looks like maybe our coach asked them to check when they were about to start the 2nd inning - he knows the first pitcher is a spin pitcher so probably wanted to know if something was wrong? I don't know enough about pitching to know. And the people talking in the background of the video that I can hear are discussing something unrelated :p

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
tbh the good thing is that I was not able to be at the game - and only saw this from the live stream. I am curious what the other parents were saying when it happened.
What age bracket?
Sounds like it was closer. Since distance moves back as they get older seems the spin pitcher could have adjusted having pitched that distance previously. 🤷‍♀️ throw better locations.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
What age bracket?
Sounds like it was closer. Since distance moves back as they get older seems the spin pitcher could have adjusted having pitched that distance previously. 🤷‍♀️ throw better locations.
18U. She only pitched 11 pitches before she was pulled after getting the first batter out. Not sure if she realized what needed adjusting. I will say the team we played was really good so distance may not have mattered anyway.

I’m sure going forward our team will be verifying the distance 😂

Apr 12, 2015
Pitching from 40ft instead of 43ft is not going to have a massive effect on a "spin pitcher". Magnus effect is simply not that powerful.

A pitcher struggling at 40 feet won't suddenly be a superstar at 43 feet. If anything, the pitcher would be better at 40ft. A little movement with higher relative velocity is preferred over larger movement at lower relative velocity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802