Pitching from wrong distance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
So this past weekend's tournament. It had rained the day before and the field our team was supposed to play on had some puddles so they moved us to another field. Apparently this wasn't setup for our division. Top of the first - we go 3 up/3 down. Bottom of the inning, we got the first out and then they just kept getting hits. Had to take our first pitcher out. Gave up some more and by the time we got out of it - down 5-0. Then they found out the pitching plate was too close.
So our first pitcher isn't fast - she has a ton of spin. So the closer distance messed up her pitches. The other team's pitcher was just fast so it helped her out a lot.
It was just showcase but our record did matter as it determined if we played the next day.
After the first inning we outscored them and held them to just 3 more runs but not enough to win.
What's the protocol for that? Is it just you're SOL because of a mistake on the field? If this game had mattered what would have happened?

(The team we played did go on to win out in the tournament the next day - we wound up 2nd in our pool so we did play the next day but if we had beat them, it may have changed some things. The team was really good so it may not have mattered anyway)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Does that say in the first inning both teams faced pitching from the same distance? One team scored the other one didn't.
Hmmm, both teams encountered same situation, one team hit better.

It was just showcase but our record did matter as it determined if we played the next day
? That's peculiar.
So...?... It was a showcase but not guaranteed amount of games? 🤔

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
? That's peculiar.
So...?... It was a showcase but not guaranteed amount of games? 🤔
It was 4GG but if you were the top 2 in your pool, there was a SE the next day. Originally it was going to be 3 showcase games, then blind draw DE but weather changed the schedule.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Does that say in the first inning both teams faced pitching from the same distance? One team scored the other one didn't.
Hmmm, both teams encountered same situation, one team hit better.
I mentioned one pitcher had spin but not speed - second pitcher had speed. So the distance affected both pitchers - one positively/one negatively. I will say after the plate was fixed we were able to hit just fine off the pitcher. Out hit the other team (after the first inning) 6-4.

I do know that a shorter distance helps out a fast pitcher. I'm not entirely sure about how it affects spin. I am curious how our first pitcher would have fared with the correct distance.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I mentioned one pitcher had spin but not speed - second pitcher had speed. So the distance affected both pitchers - one positively/one negatively. I will say after the plate was fixed we were able to hit just fine off the pitcher. Out hit the other team (after the first inning) 6-4.

I do know that a shorter distance helps out a fast pitcher. I'm not entirely sure about how it affects spin. I am curious how our first pitcher would have fared with the correct distance.
Hitting is hitting.... it is hitting that impacted the score.
Timing is timing regardless of distance. 🤷‍♀️

Best thing is to learn from it and have pitchers/coaches/all be observantly paying attention before game starts.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Yes. Would you have posted this had you won (be honest....) ?
Probably - just curious honestly about how tournaments would handle stuff like that. It's probably a non-issue in certain places where the plate distance doesn't change.

I wouldn't like the idea of winning because of some unfair advantage. Again, may not have mattered at all - but we'll never know. I really hoped that we would get to face them again but we didn't make it to the championship game.

Jun 8, 2016
Probably - just curious honestly about how tournaments would handle stuff like that. It's probably a non-issue in certain places where the plate distance doesn't change.

I wouldn't like the idea of winning because of some unfair advantage. Again, may not have mattered at all - but we'll never know. I really hoped that we would get to face them again but we didn't make it to the championship game.
It was a mistake..sh*% happens 🤷‍♂️. I am surprised neither of the team's pitchers or catchers noticed it right away. Who ultimately questioned the distance?

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Hitting is hitting.... it is hitting that impacted the score.
Timing is timing regardless of distance. 🤷‍♀️

Best thing is to learn from it and have pitchers/coaches/all be observantly paying attention before game starts.
tbh the good thing is that I was not able to be at the game - and only saw this from the live stream. I am curious what the other parents were saying when it happened.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12