Pitching at Stanford Super Regional

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
A softball friend gave me 4 tickets right behind home plate for the Stanford-Oregon State game tonight. If I had been thinking, I would have dug out my old GoPro and recorded the entire game. My DD has a tournament this weekend, but I'll try to circle back Monday and organize some video and multi-shot of the pitchers. I have some video on my phone.

My daughter and I brought two HS teammates with us. The P1/3B-2/1B-3, the 3B/1B-2, and my DD OF/1B/3B-3/C2/P4. It was interesting hearing my DD and the P1's reactions on some of the pitches and that the umpire mostly got the strike calls right, regardless of what the home crowd thought. I think having this perspective will help all three with pitch recognition for hitting at their tournaments this weekend.

backstop.jpg

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A softball friend gave me 4 tickets right behind home plate for the Stanford-Oregon State game tonight. If I had been thinking, I would have dug out my old GoPro and recorded the entire game. My DD has a tournament this weekend, but I'll try to circle back Monday and organize some video and multi-shot of the pitchers. I have some video on my phone.

My daughter and I brought two HS teammates with us. The P1/3B-2/1B-3, the 3B/1B-2, and my DD OF/1B/3B-3/C2/P4. It was interesting hearing my DD and the P1's reactions on some of the pitches and that the umpire mostly got the strike calls right, regardless of what the home crowd thought. I think having this perspective will help all three with pitch recognition for hitting at their tournaments this weekend.

View attachment 25736
WooHoo good stuff! Great angle to watch the game from!
More detail from the players recognizing pitch recognition and strike zone area please 🙂
What were their impressions what did they learn?

Jun 8, 2016
It was interesting hearing my DD and the P1's reactions on some of the pitches and that the umpire mostly got the strike calls right, regardless of what the home crowd thought.
So does this mean they are going to start telling their own fans, parents included (not you of course..you would never complain), to stfu when they start bitching about calls in their own games? 😉

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
That Oregon State pitcher Mariah Mazon is pretty dang good and she is rakes at the bat!
We are biased, in that we're OSU fans, but she's probably one of the most underrated/unrecognized P5 pitchers in the country. She just shows up and goes to work. Calm cool collected. Her smile is infectious.

Same with Coach Berg. Most people don't know who she is either, 4x medal winning Olympian as well as Team USA Olympics coach. Michelle Smith (?) talked about Coach Berg during one of the regional games and her resume....impressive.

I was attending a NFCA coaches clinic. Jo Evans Texas A&M was doing a presentation on OF. A question was asked about technique and what Evans taught/preferred. Evans answered. "this is what we teach....unless your Laura Berg and then you can do what ever you want". I chuckled knowing who she was referring to. I asked all of the attendees around me if any of them knew who she was referring to. None did.

Glad to see the Beavers having success. the P12 is a stacked conference.

BTW this OSU team has 1 senior, 1 junior, 6 sophomores and 14 freshman.....

Jan 5, 2018
PNW

View attachment 25736
What a great game to watch. MM was dealing. It looked like her drop was pinpoint accurate on either side of the plate. My DD loves watching her pitch. Confident and calm are our descriptions of her. Well except for the last HR she hit in the regionals!! Her smile is infectious. I think her presences/command has helped a young team mature quickly and stay calm in the face of adversity.

Jan 22, 2011
We are biased, in that we're OSU fans, but she's probably one of the most underrated/unrecognized P5 pitchers in the country. She just shows up and goes to work. Calm cool collected. Her smile is infectious.

Same with Coach Berg. Most people don't know who she is either, 4x medal winning Olympian as well as Team USA Olympics coach. Michelle Smith (?) talked about Coach Berg during one of the regional games and her resume....impressive.

I was attending a NFCA coaches clinic. Jo Evans Texas A&M was doing a presentation on OF. A question was asked about technique and what Evans taught/preferred. Evans answered. "this is what we teach....unless your Laura Berg and then you can do what ever you want". I chuckled knowing who she was referring to. I asked all of the attendees around me if any of them knew who she was referring to. None did.

Glad to see the Beavers having success. the P12 is a stacked conference.

BTW this OSU team has 1 senior, 1 junior, 6 sophomores and 14 freshman.....
I remember that quote about Laura Berg from several years ago. I'm sure most folks at the game had no idea who she was. I was excited to see her :).

Jan 22, 2011
DD says she loves to throw inside and has nasty pitches.

DD only played 1 of 3 games due to missing practices last week to finals and her prom. She played in LF, had two at bats. going 1 for 2. 1st at bat she recognized a rise ball coming, got on top of the ball and hit it down for a slap-like single up the middle for an RBI. She claims it wasn't a slap, just got on top of the ball on a full swing. 2nd at bat she flew out to the LF.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812