Pitching against slappers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 9, 2021
What is the best way to pitch against a slapper? Looking to neutralize the slappers skill to give our defense a better chance. Any and all opinions appreciated. Thanks

Jul 22, 2015
In general, hard stuff in (most slappers hate the ball inside) and soft stuff away is a good approach. Even if they hit either of those there is more likelihood that it will go to the right side of the infield. Many slappers also drop their hands a little, so good rise balls can get by them and/or get them to hit the ball in the air. If you expect the batter to bunt, I like to go down and away with off speed or see if I can get them to pop up a rise ball.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
As a general rule, low and outside is the hardest pitch for slappers to make good contact with. High, hard and in on the hands is the 2nd.
Not 100% sure I would agree with that. As an umpire I see the low and outside pitch put in play more that any other pitch. Seems they can get the barrel of the bat on it there. Definitely agree with the high hard and on the hands.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Prefer lefty slapper inside, drops mix rise. Pending players & count change ups.

Outside is the direction leftys tend to drive/direct barrel path to left field side.
( not as much pull hitters)

Inside
As their feet move forward
drop falls below knees hard to bunt/slap and cant extend.
Also drop spin will force more grounders instead of lacers/liners thru infield. Or dumpy doo's over infiled.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
You have to play percentages, nothing is 100% effective. But think about what a slapper wants to do: hit the ball towards the SS and beat out the throw. So, by that logic, pitching outside would help them do just this! However, throw down/in... they're likely to pull to 2nd base for an easier throw to 1st. Riseballs are ok but it's easier to hit a ball rising into the field of vision vs. hitting one dropping out of the field of vision. But again, a slapper with great bat control can easily do a check swing of sorts lifting the ball over the SS or 2nd base's head. Keep the ball down and in, play your percentages.

Stay away from change ups until you have 2 strikes. Again, a good slapper with bat control will see, recognize and then drop a bunt on a change up. They're less likely to do this with 2 strikes. That too is all just playing percentages.

Jun 11, 2013
Just like regular hitters there is no one size fits all. Low and outside and in on the hands is most hitters so it's not a bad way to attack a slapper first time. The top notch ones really have no weakness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802