Pitchers Velo dips/ Breaks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 18, 2021
Hey all, I have a 13 year old pitcher, played all year from Feb-December, probably pitched around 150 innings on the season. She gained velo throughout the year and was topping out right at 60mph towards the end of the fall season. During break we were still throwing and velo started to dip, now only topping out around 56mph.

I tried pushing and working harder, more drills, longtoss, strength training, none of which has helped. PC doesn’t seem concerned and suggested taking 4 weeks off. Anyone had similar experiences? I could use some advice, it’s driving me nuts! Haha Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2018
Sometimes burnout, for sure, but also look for timing issues. Growth spurts or just physical maturity can change things — sometimes good, sometimes bad. Video from before and now would be very helpful.

Sep 3, 2015
150 innings over 10 months is not an excessive amount of work, but I will say my DD after 14U would not even touch a softball from Thanksgiving - New Year’s Day.

The body needs it, and it always seemed that she came back stronger.

Apr 8, 2019
Hey all, I have a 13 year old pitcher, played all year from Feb-December, probably pitched around 150 innings on the season. She gained velo throughout the year and was topping out right at 60mph towards the end of the fall season. During break we were still throwing and velo started to dip, now only topping out around 56mph.

I tried pushing and working harder, more drills, longtoss, strength training, none of which has helped. PC doesn’t seem concerned and suggested taking 4 weeks off. Anyone had similar experiences? I could use some advice, it’s driving me nuts! Haha Thanks!

She's tapped out. I don't know if you do any strength training. She needs to work on all muscles. Feb-Dec may not her bother her now, but it will later. When I say later, I mean in a couple of years because of the wear and tear if you don't give her a break.

Jul 18, 2021
Thanks for all the replies! Very good info there! I know the 150 innings doesn’t seem excessive over the course of 10 months, just figured with all work we do on our own her body is just tired.

We are going on week 3 of no pitching. We have been doing strength training however. Mainly focusing on being more explosive. Going to try and hold out another week before having her throw again and look at where velo is. I just don’t like feeling as though we are regressing with all the hard work she has put in this year.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

Stop going to that coach. Why pay someone who gives you solid advice and you don’t follow it. Find someone you trust and then give your dd a month off.

Nov 18, 2022
Mine will usually play her last few in December then shut it down until late January when she starts up to get ready for HS season- every year she has come back stronger and seemingly with a new gear

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28