Pitcher's glove color? Steam fitting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2020
I've been trying to get my DD talked into getting a glove to start breaking in but she had no interest. Today a lace broke on her glove and I really don't think it is worth getting relaced. (Older Mizuno MVP) Locally, most of the gloves I can find that she likes are either white or white/grey combo. I know in baseball white or grey is illegal but wasn't sure about softball? This would be Iowa high school. Dicks has one she likes (Rawlings Heart of the Hide PRO125SB-18GW) and offers free steam fitting. Never heard of steam fitting before and wanted to see if it is worth while. Thanks for help.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It is the ball color. :) Not sure about yellow glove in SB But I would would stay away from yellow.

You will get mixed opinions on steaming, we have never used it. It is not for fit, it just breaks it in.

Feb 6, 2020
I figured it was the ball color that was an issue but didn't want to take a chance and want to pick a glove up this morning. Since it is free, I'll give the steaming a chance especially since she won't have much time to break it in.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
I figured it was the ball color that was an issue but didn't want to take a chance and want to pick a glove up this morning. Since it is free, I'll give the steaming a chance especially since she won't have much time to break it in.

I always recommend not to steam a glove aa it dries it out. Also, if you read the warranty on the glove, there are alot of gloves that stipulate that steaming will void the warranty.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Unless you want the wrath of the glove gurus, don't even consider steaming. There are a bunch of ways to expedite breaking in a glove.

FWIW, I personally never steam the glove.

Hot water, bend, mallet, beat the crap out of, etc. Then a great glove conditioner (ballplayers balm is a great brand), then mink oil on the inside of the glove.. Don't thank me, thank @Schmick's Gloves

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Don't steam it!!
It's a softball glove, it's made out of soft Featherlight leather and 80% broken in from the factory, I think you guys can handle the other 20%! I could have that glove ready to go in less than 15 minutes!

Nov 8, 2020
The white gloves are not legal for pitching in baseball but perfectly fine for pitching in softball.

The high school umpires are much more picky with pitchers, make them remove anything shiny, my kid had forgot about a necklace she had on because she wasn't expecting to get in to the game. A couple weeks ago she was playing vs her travel teamate and that girl had a safety pin in place of one of her jerseys top buttons and the ump made her remove it. Anyway, I would steer clear of the metallic glove lace for a pitcher and might not go with flo yellow lace but the rest is good.

Enjoy whatever glove you wind up with, keep it conditioned and it will last you years.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812