Pitchers and number of pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 9, 2021
That idea always intrigues me. If you are 80% sure you'll lose an upcoming game, do you pitch #2 to save #1 for a game that is more 50/50? Or do you pitch #1 trying for that win and then #2 in the next game. Do you secure a 1W/1L record or gamble for the 2W record?

That really is the calculation. Because you could end up going 0-2 because you tired to go for 2-0. Pitching the same girl every game just can’t happen especially in weeks with several games. Makes it more complicated when the really good team is a rival but still has you outmatched. Do you pitch your best to keep the score respectable. Trying to figure out some of that now and I go back and forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
So what would you consider a good ratio for innings pitched at the high school level if the second pitcher is a significant drop off. 75% of innings for starting pitcher, more, less? Do you sacrifice your back up pitcher to the best teams to save your best for more winnable games? Curious what some of you think is the best way to handle a staff with only one really good pitcher without wearing that pitcher out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in this position this year, and I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do.

I don't want #1 pitching every inning, but I'm not sure she'll burn out if I have her ready to pitch in every game.

I think my plan is to throw her in that range in the middle where we could/should win. I'll start her in the games we're going to lose, but I'll be ready to tap out and put in #2 or #3 as soon as we're down a decent amount just to get the game over. And I'll start #2 in the easy games, but I'll have #1 warm up juuuust in case it's not so easy. #2's issue is control. If she throws strikes, there's 6-7 teams on our schedule she should handle just fine. But she may not throw strikes.

I think that should work out to about 75% of the innings for #1, and since the weather here is so crappy all spring, I could probably get her up to 80-85% without actually pitching her too much because some games will get rained out.

Oct 4, 2018
I'm in this position this year, and I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do.

I don't want #1 pitching every inning, but I'm not sure she'll burn out if I have her ready to pitch in every game.

I think my plan is to throw her in that range in the middle where we could/should win. I'll start her in the games we're going to lose, but I'll be ready to tap out and put in #2 or #3 as soon as we're down a decent amount just to get the game over. And I'll start #2 in the easy games, but I'll have #1 warm up juuuust in case it's not so easy. #2's issue is control. If she throws strikes, there's 6-7 teams on our schedule she should handle just fine. But she may not throw strikes.

I think that should work out to about 75% of the innings for #1, and since the weather here is so crappy all spring, I could probably get her up to 80-85% without actually pitching her too much because some games will get rained out.

That makes sense. So much of it is a guessing game and instincts and of course hindsight is 20/20. There are very few line-up decisions I second guess. Just so hard to know what is going to happen.

As a coach, do you think much about getting them even playing time or making sure all pitchers get development and innings? Or is it more about wins and record. I'm not pre-judging or anything, just curious what you think about.

Do bitching parents influence you in either direction or not?

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
As a coach, do you think much about getting them even playing time or making sure all pitchers get development and innings? Or is it more about wins and record. I'm not pre-judging or anything, just curious what you think about.

Do bitching parents influence you in either direction or not?

My #1 is my only real pitcher. #2 is a senior who has taken up pitching mostly just to be another pitcher on the team. She's not pitching beyond this year. Very much a team player who is doing it just to help us out.

#3-5 are all developmental, and they'll get most of their pitching innings at the JV level. I think it would be wrong to call two of them pitchers at all at this point. One hasn't gotten beyond K drills into a net.

At the varsity level, I'm thinking about winning. My goal is to figure out how to get #2 as many innings as possible (to save wear and tear on #1) without #2's pitching being the reason we lose a single game. I have no idea if I can pull that off.

Last year, I had two pitchers. #1 this year was #2 last year. She was a Freshman and got I think around 35-40% of the innings. #1 was a senior, and she got the rest. This year's #2 pitched in one game and didn't record an out. I liked that split, and nobody seemed to complain. The senior was solid for our level, but she was not a college-bound pitcher by any means.

I tell parents I'm not going to discuss playing time with them, and I never have. I don't hear those complaints. But I also think I'm fair with playing time. Or at least I try to be. I've had enough scenarios where JV players find their way onto varsity or some bench player ends up being a starter that those who have been around a while should know I'm not playing favorites. Interestingly enough, the two pitchers this year are possibly the two kids I've been closest to the entire time I've been coaching. They're also good friends and not competing with each other at all.

Apr 6, 2017
My girl is now 16. She’s stopped travel but still will pitch for the hs team. 100 pitches a game is too much for her anymore. If a kid is conditioned for travel they can throw more. A seasonal kid needs to take it easy in my opinion. I never heard my daughter complain about her arm until her freshman year hs.

Nov 18, 2015
JD - I'd look into starting #2 for more away games. If it's an "easier" team, and you get out of the gate quickly with a run or two (or even just threaten in the top of the 1st), it may help #2 relax more once she's in the circle. For travel - we've had great luck being the Visitor's and the underdog - it's always fun watching the opposing coach have to pull his #3 or #4 pitcher b/c they underestimated us, and they're suddenly down 3-0 in the first inning. I guess my point is by getting up early, the pressure to throw strikes may be lessened, which in turn keeps #1 on the bench (or playing whatever her other favorite position is).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802