Pitchers and number of pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Would be interested to hear from people who have actually done this at the HS level. Assume for a minute that the HS coach actually cares what you think and would listen to you (which would be unusual),...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fortunate enough to have good rapport with HS coaches. We had a conversation toward the end of the season to sit DD against a tough conference opponent we had barely beaten earlier in the season. We were close to the top of the conference but knew we couldn't win it. DD had thrown 95% of the innings, and she was wearing down and having a little hip pain. Quite a drop-off from DD to P2, so we knew we were sacrificing that game. Those extra three days of rest were huge as she was rejuvenated going into playoffs and we made a deep run to the section finals. That included a one-hitter against a tough team and a 1-0 victory coming right after a first loss in double-elimination. Without that rest, no way we would have made it that far.

Sep 15, 2015
One of these days there will be pitch counts for girls just like there is for boys. It has already started with the Little League Association. At some point high schools will adopt one then it will spread to every other organization. Personally I wished it would happen tomorrow.

I agree with that. More people would have to learn how to pitch, and HS in particular would not turn so much on the quality of one starting pitcher. It would be a better team game with more strategy if you had to manage a staff. And of course it would be healthier.

Sep 15, 2015
Fortunate enough to have good rapport with HS coaches. We had a conversation toward the end of the season to sit DD against a tough conference opponent we had barely beaten earlier in the season. We were close to the top of the conference but knew we couldn't win it. DD had thrown 95% of the innings, and she was wearing down and having a little hip pain. Quite a drop-off from DD to P2, so we knew we were sacrificing that game. Those extra three days of rest were huge as she was rejuvenated going into playoffs and we made a deep run to the section finals. That included a one-hitter against a tough team and a 1-0 victory coming right after a first loss in double-elimination. Without that rest, no way we would have made it that far.

This makes a lot of sense. I’ve always thought “periodization” was highly relevant to pitchers in softball. They need to think about their seasons like a distance runner would, where training and volume is based around specific significant competition events (“big meets”). The benefit of a pre planned (or unplanned) “taper” after a long season is huge. A week or even a few days of de-loading always freshened my DD up, very similar to what happens to a runner that cuts their mileage before a big event.

Sep 15, 2015

The other question is whether you would have made the same decision if you could have won the conference? My guess is that would have been a tougher call both in the moment and maybe even in hindsight.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
The other question is whether you would have made the same decision if you could have won the conference? My guess is that would have been a tougher call both in the moment and maybe even in hindsight.

I can't speak for the coach, but in my mind she needed the rest, period. It was also an easy sell by stating she was having hip pain. The coach does care about her players so taking care of an injury is high on the priority list. To me the conference championship was important, but less important than the section playoffs. I know kids should be able to have these conversations on their own with their coaches, but I think the conversation had more weight as to the seriousness coming from me. Kids at our high school level would frequently try to find ways to get out of practice or even games.

Oct 26, 2019
This makes a lot of sense. I’ve always thought “periodization” was highly relevant to pitchers in softball. They need to think about their seasons like a distance runner would, where training and volume is based around specific significant competition events (“big meets”). The benefit of a pre planned (or unplanned) “taper” after a long season is huge. A week or even a few days of de-loading always freshened my DD up, very similar to what happens to a runner that cuts their mileage before a big event.

This This This ^^^

I have said it on here a few times. Kids would not have to take 6 to 8 weeks off from completely throwing during the winter if more people thought this way during the season and managed the in-season load better.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Surprised you're seeing 4-5 games scheduled. I would only expect that if it was makeups toward the end of the season.

I will schedule 4-5 games in a week (not every week), but some of that is knowing at least 1/3 of our games will get canceled because of weather. I used to leave dates open for make-ups, but I found it's easier to just fill the schedule and not bother with making up games most of the time.

FWIW, we are allowed to play 35 games, not counting the state tournament. If I wanted to actually play that many, we would have to schedule 4-5 games every week not counting spring break. I usually try to schedule 30 and hope to play 20. Nineteen is the most we've played in a season.

May 18, 2019
My kid is 14u now. At 10U I limited her to about 80 game pitches per day and 150 on a weekend if my memory serves correct. I had a discussion with the coach every year before the season. He was very cool though I did have to pull her late in some tournaments and we lost games we could have won. With hindsight I don't regret any of those decisions. At 12U we scaled to a bit over 100 per day or a bit under 200 on a weakends. At 14U we have her around 125 per day or 250 a weekend. She has very good form and we've started to incorporate a lot of lower body, shoulder, and core work. The above numbers are game pitches but she's stayed very healthy. Every Monday after a tournament no pitching, if anywhere near the upper limits Tuesday off also. Wed lessons, Thursday throw and Friday very light or nothing.

One month at least full rest each year and I was a triathlete in a former life so lots of adherence to periodization also. The most likely time to get injured is really early or late season. Everyone expects the late but prepping for the early load is critical also.

Best thing we did was look for a strong team with 2 other good pitchers and great defense. We very rarely come anywhere near pitch limits.

Load is 100% manageable even as P1.

Now to keep her healthy.

Jun 20, 2015
My kid is 14u now. At 10U I limited her to about 80 game pitches per day and 150 on a weekend if my memory serves correct. I had a discussion with the coach every year before the season. He was very cool though I did have to pull her late in some tournaments and we lost games we could have won. With hindsight I don't regret any of those decisions. At 12U we scaled to a bit over 100 per day or a bit under 200 on a weakends. At 14U we have her around 125 per day or 250 a weekend. She has very good form and we've started to incorporate a lot of lower body, shoulder, and core work. The above numbers are game pitches but she's stayed very healthy. Every Monday after a tournament no pitching, if anywhere near the upper limits Tuesday off also. Wed lessons, Thursday throw and Friday very light or nothing.

One month at least full rest each year and I was a triathlete in a former life so lots of adherence to periodization also. The most likely time to get injured is really early or late season. Everyone expects the late but prepping for the early load is critical also.

Best thing we did was look for a strong team with 2 other good pitchers and great defense. We very rarely come anywhere near pitch limits.

Now to keep her healthy.
for travel ball, i see no problems with your position. BUT high school is an entirely different world.

Oct 4, 2018

Now to keep her healthy.

Yup. We never pitch the day before or the day after a tourney. Sometimes two after, if it was a big one. At least 6 week rest at Christmas.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802