Pitcher hopping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Honestly, you’re probably fighting a losing battle. Even if the umps do call it, it might only be a couple of times. I highly doubt they’d call it enough where it would have an impact (eg. affecting the pitcher enough that she gets pulled). It is frustrating when the rules aren’t enforced; however, if it’s difficult to see in real-time, then it’s probably very negligible to begin with.

May 17, 2012
Wow. Funny how message boards are so mean. Always. Bizarre world we live in really.

You think you have discovered something nobody noticed before and now you are going to insert yourself into the game with your newfound knowledge ("If we face her in the tourney I’ll send the videos to our coach and have her decide how to proceed. Thanks so much!").

The reality is that most likely it isn't a meaningful advantage and it will have no influence on the outcome of the game either way.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
You think you have discovered something nobody noticed before and now you are going to insert yourself into the game with your newfound knowledge ("If we face her in the tourney I’ll send the videos to our coach and have her decide how to proceed. Thanks so much!").

The reality is that most likely it isn't a meaningful advantage and it will have no influence on the outcome of the game either way.
If you know for certain that a pitcher consistently throws IP, I think it is worth mentioning it during the pre game plate meeting. Puts in the umps mind but more importantly the other coach and his pitchers mind. Illegal is illegal. TBS, they should change the rule and let the pitchers leap for joy.

May 17, 2012
If you know for certain that a pitcher consistently throws IP, I think it is worth mentioning it during the pre game plate meeting. Puts in the umps mind but more importantly the other coach and his pitchers mind. Illegal is illegal. TBS, they should change the rule and let the pitchers leap for joy.

Short of the pitcher triple jumping off the mound I am not going to mention it. I have seen pitchers become "motivated" after complaints during games.

I don't disagree with your position (illegal is illegal), I just differ on how to handle it (or not).

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Short of the pitcher triple jumping off the mound I am not going to mention it. I have seen pitchers become "motivated" after complaints during games.

I don't disagree with your position (illegal is illegal), I just differ on how to handle it (or not).
I've also seen it go the other way and have a girl completely fall apart after getting called for an illegal pitch. I believe Emma Lemley had to be pulled in Regionals last year because she couldn't adapt.

Dec 6, 2019
I'm sorry for all the condescension in this thread, and I feel the OP's pain. I've resigned myself to the fact that it doesn't matter what the rules are, umps are not going to call any illegal pitches other than stepping on the rubber with hands together or maybe a double touch. The "best" pitcher in our area has never thrown a legal pitch in her life. She replants and goes from 18"-24" in front of the rubber every time. You don't need slow motion to see it. It's plain as day. There was one away game her team had out of our area where the field ump called her 30+ times, but other than that, no one has called her illegal in 3 years of HS ball. She's an ACC commit. She'll do it in college, and no one will call it there either (except maybe if she makes it to the NCAA tourney--but I doubt that. Did Danielle Williams get called for any in the tourney? I never saw it if she did.). It's a losing battle. Just give up now. Resign yourself that umpires are physically incapable of ever seeing an illegal pitch. Your sanity will thank you if you have zero expectations.

May 27, 2013
The "best" pitcher in our area has never thrown a legal pitch in her life. She replants and goes from 18"-24" in front of the rubber every time. You don't need slow motion to see it. It's plain as day. There was one away game her team had out of our area where the field ump called her 30+ times, but other than that, no one has called her illegal in 3 years of HS ball. She's an ACC commit. She'll do it in college, and no one will call it there either (except maybe if she makes it to the NCAA tourney--but I doubt that.

Or the other side of this is they will call it and then the college coach will go ballistic and argue with the umpire - but yet they have seen it and still recruited the pitcher. Then the pitcher will claim that she’s never had an issue with it previously and this argument will come full circle back to why it should have been enforced at the younger ages as mentioned on here in ages old threads. Then again, those of us that stated that were thought to be nuts for saying an umpire should warn a pitcher about it in 10U. 🤦‍♀️ 😂 It is what it is, unfortunately, and I agree with previous posters - just let it go.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I recorded every game I could in the Super Regionals. Then I went back and looked at all the pitchers in slow motion and about 60% of them were technically illegal because their back foot lost contact with the ground.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse