Pitcher hopping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2022
One of the best pitchers in our state hops off of the rubber and replants. It’s hard to see live but it’s clear on video. At least an inch or two off the ground/ Kind of a pet peeve of mine because it’s a huge advantage to replant 2 feet in front of the rubber. State tournament starts soon. What should we do if we face her?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Don't focus on it. Is she really gaining a huge advantage by doing so? If so, have the HC point it out to the umpiring crew before the game.

Just hit the ball.

Nov 3, 2022
She looks like Barnhill but the back foot is in the air by a couple inches . What exactly is the rule? I thought you had to maintain contact with the ground with back foot.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The rules are somewhat ambiguous from sanction to sanction. However, a true crow hop is illegal. Most people conflate the two, but they are different. A true crow hop is when the girl leaps and replants her push foot. It's extremely rare to see the last part in women's fastpitch. Most girls just leap. Do they gain a huge advantage by doing so? Well, that's been debated in this board longer than I've been around.

If it bothers you that much, point it out to the umpires and leave it to them to call. Chances are, they won't.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022
We play per NFHS. Rule book is on-line but costs $. I’m surprised there would be a distinction between a crow hop (with a second push) vs “just” a leap. If you’re leaping, your back foot has to come down and push off again. You can’t release the ball with feet in the air. Is the second push a lot? A little? Does it matter? If not already, the rule should be you have to maintain contact with the ground, then there would be no ambiguity and no significant unfair advantage.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
When I say ambiguity, I mean between the different sanctions, not the two separate things.

Look, unless it's really obvious to the umpires, it probably won't get called. Is it right? No, but they hardly call it in college, either.

The girl in the photo pitches for Villanova. To the best of my knowledge, she's never been called for an illegal pitch in college for leaping or crow hopping. Screenshot_20230406_223401_Brave.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802