Pitcher fielding the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2018
DD's team runs a coverage where as 1B she stays back sometimes. Mostly on lefty quick hitters. Assuming for a couple reasons - sometimes 2nd is racing to get to 1B and TBH they don't field quick throws as well as DD and that causes problems and sometimes I think it is to make sure SS can cover 3rd so a runner doesn't go from 1st to 3rd.
There you go! Mostly for so they don't go first to third. Are bunting play is 123 First two third... for this reason. Our goal is to bunt the runner on first to third. We also have a coverage where if third baseman fields the ball, the catcher is running to cover 3rd with the LFer coming too. P goes home to cover there.

Jul 19, 2021
third baseman fields the ball, the catcher is running to cover 3rd with the LFer coming too. P goes home to cover there.
Have always preferred the above coverage. Asking too much of the P and C to cover the first base foul line IMO. You don't think so?

May 1, 2018
Have always preferred the above coverage. Asking too much of the P and C to cover the first base foul line IMO. You don't think so?
Well the number of bunts down the first base line, especially with a runner on is very few. Usually the 1st baseman is the slowest person on the field. So just depends on your team makeup. We also try and pitch screw or drop balls if we know a bunt is coming (Screw to go foul towards third, Drop so it's catchers ball.) If the 1st baseman is playing bunt with the runner on, the runner can also take huge leads at first without any consequences, which my goal in bunting with a runner on 1st is to get that runner to third. So depends on what you are guarding against too

Jul 19, 2021
Well the number of bunts down the first base line, especially with a runner on is very few.
I've noted that as well but always attributed to the fact that the 1b was playing bunt because obviously all things being equal, if 3b and 1b are crashing, you want 3b to have to make the play. I've believed that if the 1b doesn't play bunt, we would see a lot more bunts down the 1b line.

May 7, 2019
Probably already mentioned in an earlier post but depends on what you have in the circle. Most pitchers also play an IF/OF position to. Hard to ask them to not make a play on the ball when they are conditioned to make a play on the ball. Girls that are pitchers ONLY shouldn't go back on a ball. It boils down to tons of communication. I've coached my SS to be the lead communicator on pop ups and should be the one directing who makes the play. A little annoyed the 2nd baseman didn't make an attempt on the ball. Don't really care how your day has gone. You're only as good as the next play..

Apr 17, 2019
I do not want a pitcher backing up to field any ball in the air.
The pitcher releases at the front of the circle. Behind them, they have the following tripping hazards: a rut they've been dragging their foot in, a pitching rubber, possibly a rosin bag, and other fielders that should be coming in to make that play. Even discounting injury, there's a higher possibility of them tripping over those things and just getting thrown off and missing the ball than your middle infielders (who should have some natural spatial awareness of where those hazards are, even keeping their eyes on the ball).
If it's in front of you, or right to you, sure, field it. As described, that's definitely the middle infielders' ball.

Feb 24, 2022
We're lucky in that all 3 of our pitchers play either 3rd base or SS when they aren't pitching. They are all excellent fielders on bunts, balls back to the pitcher, etc., so we don't put limitations on them when it comes to fielding. You call it, you get it. That said, it's much easier for a SS or 2nd baseman to come in on a ball than a pitcher go back, so I would prefer the middle infielders to take charge on those types of plays.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Usually, a pitcher is a good athlete. Their athleticism makes up for a lack of practice.

At higher levels of play where everyone on the team is athletic, the pitcher's lack of practice shows.

E.g., while the pitcher is warming up, infielders are doing everydays, taking ground balls, throwing the ball, learning different ways to throw the ball, etc. After a couple of season, the skill gap is noticeable.

Go the 12 second mark of the video. It shows how Whitney Canion, the best pitcher in the NCAA in 2015, covered a bunt. The batter would have been at 3B if the infielders were waiting for Whitney to field the ball.

Apr 11, 2016
2B has the right of way, esp. since the ball is behind the pitcher. It is 2B's ball. But as a pitcher, if it is within grasp, she should catch it unless SS or 2B calls it.

SS has the right of way, followed by in-fielders, pitcher has the least right of way of balls landed in-field. Outfielders have right of way over infielders, and CF has right of way over LF and RF.

For example, in one game, DD was 2B and a ball was hit behind her. DD was quick and ball was well within her reach, yet RF called her off but missed the ball. Parents were wondering why DD didn't try to catch it, thankfully someone else mentioned that's bc RF called it. I told DD she did the right thing.

I wish coaches teach this. Last weekend, a high-level A team had a collision. CF had to be taken to the hospital b/c another outfielder collided into her, even though she called the ball.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802