Pitch hitting home plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
All that and still, not often, but it happens.
Have caught pitches that bounced on the plate called strikes.

Have caught pitches that bounced in front of the plate called strikes.

Have seen teammates get bouncing strikes called on them.

Student catchers experience this also!!!

HURRAY The wonderful strike-zone AREA

Nov 9, 2019
Can you imagine all the injury's from youth catchers trying to catch pitches that are called strikes hitting the plate?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Even in the very, very worst of games, if the pitch hits the plate or crosses at ankle level or crosses at helmet level, I am not calling it a strike.

Jul 22, 2015
Even in the very, very worst of games, if the pitch hits the plate or crosses at ankle level or crosses at helmet level, I am not calling it a strike.
Unfortunately, in some of the rec games I call the arc of the pitch means that if it hits the back of the plate it actually WAS a strike and probably as hittable a pitch as the batter will see.

Oct 24, 2010
I got curious about this. Cannot find a rule stating it's a ball in one code. I'm looking at you USSSA. Any others?
ETA: Two codes. U2 Little League

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I got curious about this. Cannot find a rule stating it's a ball in one code. I'm looking at you USSSA. Any others?
ETA: Two codes. U2 Little League

USA: 7.5.A
A ball on the batter: For each legally pitched ball that does not enter the strike zone, touches the ground before reaching home plate, or touches home plate, and the batter does not swing.

Edit: oh, sorry, you're listing ones you can't find.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
"Helping" the pitchers doesn't necessarily help them, honestly. They learn that they don't need a lot of control.. Just toss it in and it will be a strike as long as it's near the plate. Also, consider that the batters learning that they have to swing at something that's a foot outside at their eyes doesn't help them develop into good hitters either.

100% correct. Drove me nuts when umpires did this. Calling a full strikezone is reasonable, but a "walkfest" teaches more than that "anywhere near the plate" nonsense.

I can't imagine what a pitch looks like that could cross within the defined boundaries of the FP strike zone and ALSO land on any part of the plate. I'm not into yelling at umpires (anymore), especially about anything close to a reasonable strike zone, but if a pitch hitting the plate gets called a strike, lots of people would be hearing the "old" me.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Attn umps, does the strike zone change depending on where the batter sets up in the box? I could see the case where a the batter is way up in the box and ball passes thru a strike zone and catches back of the plate.

Jul 22, 2015
I can't imagine what a pitch looks like that could cross within the defined boundaries of the FP strike zone and ALSO land on any part of the plate.
I wish I couldn't but saw it weekly for a while. Picture slow pitch. That's it. Ok, not quite, but pretty close. When it's coming that slow, with an arc, it can cross at the knees or thigh and still hit the plate or right behind it. Makes it really dangerous for the inexperienced catchers too since they want to lean forward and try to catch it in the air.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802